Bedroom furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah! Audiolab a blast from the past :lol: thats what is hidden in this
364575307_070c6ff9dc.jpg

Anyway I don't want to sidetrack your thread so enough of this.... :lol:

Whats your swmbo think of the bedroom? :lol: I bet you earned some brownie points then \:D/

oooo a speaker fan :)

i made a b&w cc6s2 center speaker (got new parts) and have all parts for my new peerless hds drivers for some bookshelf... just waiting to have some time off and finish other projects before making them...

plus to the comment of speakers in bedroom i have 32inch lcd and 5.1 :)

if they was veneer mdf i see tops parts are router ed guess u used veneer tape or bit solid wood there ?

I am absolutely in awe at some of you guys.

I would have a massive one of these:
chuftybadge.gif

for even doing one of those pieces of furniture, to do them all is a massive achievement and unbelievably inspiring.

Can I ask how much it all cost, compared to how much it 'would' cost if you bought pre-made flat packed but solid stuff?

Hi Mike

PowerTool":32sr8hvz said:
All fantastic work,Mike :D - but for some reason,I find the look of the dressing table most appealing;it just looks very neat,light,and just right in proportions.

My thoughts exactly, well done.

Could you please post the proportions of the dressing table and chair? For me, these are just perfect.

Cheers,
Neil

Lark":jb2rn44k said:
oooo a speaker fan :)

i made a b&w cc6s2 center speaker (got new parts) and have all parts for my new peerless hds drivers for some bookshelf... just waiting to have some time off and finish other projects before making them...

plus to the comment of speakers in bedroom i have 32inch lcd and 5.1 :)

if they was veneer mdf i see tops parts are router ed guess u used veneer tape or bit solid wood there ?

I hope you post some pics when you finish the speakers. I always like to see speakers people have built. It used to be a lot more popolar but not so many people make them these days.

As for the tops, the front piece where the drivers mount is solid and the top edges are solid. I router the edges away after joining them and then fitted a soild strip about 10mm square. This was so I could round the edges over.

Cheers
Mike

Lukey":1j3z77jk said:
I am absolutely in awe at some of you guys.

I would have a massive one of these:
chuftybadge.gif

for even doing one of those pieces of furniture, to do them all is a massive achievement and unbelievably inspiring.

Can I ask how much it all cost, compared to how much it 'would' cost if you bought pre-made flat packed but solid stuff?

Thanks for the comments and the badge - much appreciated.

I haven't done all that detailed a breakdown of the price but from memory I spent about £250 on the solid ash, about £350 on veneered MDF, probably about &100 on hinges and handles and maybe £50 on varnish. So all in, something like £750 on materials and that's for everything including the spare bits for a pair of speakers and a great big subwoofer.

We bought Ikea warbrobes for our daughters room and spent about £500 on three standard width cupbards with a few drawers in. They are quite well finished and the drawer runners are quite chunky but the carcasses are as wobbly as anything and the hinges and handles are not as good as the ones I fitted so that maybe gives some kind of comparison.

Cheers
Mike

Newbie_Neil":1mwlajbt said:
Hi Mike

PowerTool":1mwlajbt said:
All fantastic work,Mike :D - but for some reason,I find the look of the dressing table most appealing;it just looks very neat,light,and just right in proportions.

My thoughts exactly, well done.

Could you please post the proportions of the dressing table and chair? For me, these are just perfect.

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks Neil,

I'm at work at the moment and don't have the drawings & dimensions with me, plus things tend to evelove to some extent as I make them so they probably don't match the drawing exactly anyway. I will take a few measurements and post them tonight. In the meantime, here is a clearer picture of the pair.

DSCF00033.jpg

Cheers
Mike

banjo":1n3hz3qe said:
Mike
I did a similar project in ash as well. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... highlight=
I do like the look (colour and grain) of this wood, gives it a clean look. Also the custom build allows you to take full advantage of floor to ceiling height which you cannot get from off the shelf units.
Well done mate =D>

Very nice. I really like the ash - it keeps the room looking airy whereas a darker wood can make the room look smaller.

Good choice of handles too - I'm sure they are the same as mine.

Cheers
Mike

Neil,

As promised, here are the dimensions of the dressing table and stool. I took the 'as built' dimensions and re-drew my original drawing.

Compressing to a smallish .jpg has lost some of resolution but hopefully you can still read it. If the original CorelDraw file is of any interest, please PM me your email address and I will send it.

both.jpg

Cheers
Mike

Very nice indeed Mike. I'd better not let SWMBO see your pics though - just in case she gets any ideas :)

Cheers :)
Tony

BTW - Thought I had seen similar speakers elsewhere - followed your link and then I knew where. Very impressed with your Home Cinema set up. So now I can show SWMBO so that she can get some ideas :D

Mike, I echo the comments posted before - the whole lot is excellent but the dressing table is my favourite. Seeing your dimensioned drawings it just shows the vision needed to translate what looks a 'simple' plain' design into an excellent piece of furniture by good choice of timber and handles. The handles really emphasize the slenderness of the piece.

Did you have the handles in mind when you started?

PS better not let my wife see the bedhead - its very similar to my mock up in pine and hardboard that is been in prototype for 3 + years!

oddsocks":8yjgd4x4 said:
Mike, I echo the comments posted before - the whole lot is excellent but the dressing table is my favourite. Seeing your dimensioned drawings it just shows the vision needed to translate what looks a 'simple' plain' design into an excellent piece of furniture by good choice of timber and handles. The handles really emphasize the slenderness of the piece.

Did you have the handles in mind when you started?

Many thanks. I like simple designs and aren't so keen on pieces which are too fussy but it's true what you say about the timber and handles. I do like ash very much and think it's very under rated. I've used the handles before and really like them. They are very good in a kitchen too.

oddsocks":8yjgd4x4 said:
PS better not let my wife see the bedhead - its very similar to my mock up in pine and hardboard that is been in prototype for 3 + years!

I promise not to tell her :wink:

Cheers
Mike

Lord Nibbo":wlc4cxsj said:
Ah! Audiolab a blast from the past :lol: thats what is hidden in this
364575307_070c6ff9dc.jpg

Anyway I don't want to sidetrack your thread so enough of this.... :lol:

LN, somehow I completely missed your post. I remembered seeing those cabinets some time ago but didn't make the connection with you. Like all your work, they are outstanding, not just the cabinet work but the finish too.

And by the way congratulations on your recent good news.

All I have to do now is work out how to smuggle your amps out without you noticing!

Lord Nibbo":wlc4cxsj said:
Whats your swmbo think of the bedroom? :lol: I bet you earned some brownie points then \:D/

She loves it. Brownie point level is sufficiently high that I might be able to convince her I need a new machine...

Cheers
Mike

why do ALL women on the planet hate speakers. im sure its because of the noise that comes out of them

THEY like doe eyed boys singing love ballads and men hating femminists

i like heavy metal, rock and old time blues........... preferably played at ear bleeding volume

that might be part of the problem :roll:

Back