Beaten to a punch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning for ... oooh ... ages to make a Krenovian skew mouthed shooting plane.

It's an ideal shop-tool project - mouth doesn't need to be tight, body NEEDS to be square, so no shaping to do. Nice and long, blade in the middle, no equivalent commercially available.

Phily beat me to it, damn him.

http://philsville.blogspot.com/2006/10/ ... bbled.html

(second topic)

Just add a panel gauge style handle at the upper right hand edge, just behind the blade, and you're done, Philly.

http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images ... ge_id=2832

BugBear

He,he......and I wanted it to be a surprise :lol:
Been doing some shaping for a comfortable grip-pics to follow,
Cheers
Phil :D

Alf":1y0bid1f said:
bugbear":1y0bid1f said:
Phily beat me to it, damn him.
But that just means you can benefit from his mistakes.

Not that he's made any, I'm sure...

Cheers, Alf

Of course he hasn't :wink: :lol:

Well you can be sure I've made plenty of mistakes-its a new design. Plus my natural propensity for the boo-boo :wink:
Some more pics.....
The plane is obviously a one handed tool (unless you have three arms in which case I will have to re-design) So....
2006_1009plane0002.jpg

2006_1009plane0009.jpg

I have been rasping away and at the moment it looks like this....
2006_1009plane0007.jpg

The sap wood kind of distorts how it looks but it feels mostly right. I'm just fitting the iron at the moment so I can test it-then I can see if the current grip idea is any good. A planted on hand grip may be better. Oh, and I considered making the grip ahead of the iron, but thats for another day..... :roll:
More details as they come.....
Philly :D

Philly,

What about a sort of hot dog handle? I really like the one I got from L-N for the no. 9.

Alan peters shows a home made one for his no 7 in one of Cosman's dvds.

I think hand wants to be immediately behind the mouth.

David C

The sap wood kind of distorts how it looks but it feels mostly right.
Hey Philly,
I am wandering what that wood is youhave there-is it Muninga?(Pterocarpus Angolensis).

David
I was thinking along the lines of a hotdog (I have a#9 and have been comparing the grip) Once I can take some cuts I'll see how useful the grip is.
Philip
The timber is Pau Rosa-my first plank of this, I like it. Very dense!
Cheers

The African Pau Rosa as opposed to the South American?

Exceptionally hard, dense and interlocked?

I was told this is species of rosewood, not sure, but it glows like one when cleanly cut or fine sanded.

Very nice indeed.

David

Not sure, David. Came from Yandles so probably African (most of their exotics are African)
Interlocked? Oh yes! Very hard and very heavy! I am re-thinking the size of the plane as the weight is quite something. Maybe for a smoother, though....... :wink:
I bought it as I was after some form of rosewood (well, Cocobolo actually) and this was as close as it got. Good price too :lol:
Got to get some work done now,

Philly":3qlsabho said:
David
I was thinking along the lines of a hotdog (I have a#9 and have been comparing the grip) Once I can take some cuts I'll see how useful the grip is.

I have a Preston catalog reprint which lists shooting planes, and the handles are as per the panel gauge.

So I guess one can freely choose one's preferred precedent - Stanley or Preston.

Of course, the presumed elite - the infill mitre planes - had neither :?

BugBear

Hi Philly

Your shooting plane looks terrific!

Do you really need a tote? You look to be automatically placing your hand in a position that balances the plane (forwards and sideways). I have always wondered why Stanley and LN, in their #9, placed a knob near the front end. This just seems wrong. No wonder they went to the hotdog handle. I agree with David's suggestion here. So, if you do add a tote, why not mold in a hotdog shape?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Now I know what my next plane will look like (I had had my eye on the #9...). Wonderful job!
Philly: did you angle the bed? If so, how did you figure out the correct angle?

Plane update!
Last night I heat treated the iron, flattened and sharpened it and then filed the mouth open. Time for a try-out!
It works. Always a good start. After taking a few shavings out of my shooting board it settled down and took some nice shavings out of some mahogany.
How did it feel? Was the grip a success?
When using the shooting board I naturally hold the plane (usually a #5, #62 or#9) in the middle, just forward of the iron. The new plane was carved to hold it at the rear. At first I used the grip and it felt "weird". A bit like driving a car from the back seats (I don't recommend this, by the way :lol: ). Whilst tuning the plane up my hand crept back to the usual "middle of the plane" grip. Darn, that felt more natural to me. :cry: So I've spent a few hours depressed that I wasted my time trying to re-invent the wheel. A Mate popped by the workshop today and I had him try out the plane. He loved it, especially the grip :roll: He thought I was nuts for not liking it.
2006_1011plane0011.jpg

So, guess I need to get more opinions on this one. Also the MK II skew will be started soon ti see if I can crack this. :lol:
By the way, the skew mouth is great-such an excellent cut. A good feature that is worth keeping.
Cheers
2006_1011plane0013.jpg

No wonder they went to the hotdog handle. I agree with David's suggestion here. So, if you do add a tote, why not mold in a hotdog shape?
But if it was such a successful design (the hotdog) why is it that so many #9s have lost theirs?

Scrit

My feeling about the hotdog is that as it was [and is] an additional expense, most went without it.

And having owned a LN #9 for years, I'm not certain I would have ever paid to add one either. Works without. I did have intentions of adding something, but as I never got around to it, it certainly wasn't a pressing need.

Take care, Mike

Philly":1u0pxpra said:
Whilst tuning the plane up my hand crept back to the usual "middle of the plane" grip. Darn, that felt more natural to me. :cry: So I've spent a few hours depressed that I wasted my time trying to re-invent the wheel.

To me, Phil, holding the plane at the back when using it on a shooting board is never going to work. It would be a bit like driving an old VW Beetle where the back is always trying to overtake the front :lol: The plane needs to be held closely against the board, and sideways pressure applied near the area of the blade, so that when it meets the resistance of the wood you are planing it doesn't force it outwards. That's how it seems to me, anyway :wink:

Paul

Back