Bears attack Light Aircraft

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
Apparently a Bear attacked this Piper Super Cub while it was parked in a remote area in Alaska. The pilot had not cleaned out the inside after a long fishing trip and the Bear smelled a fish smell.

The pilot had two new tires, three cases of Duck Tape (never leave home without it, the greatest stuff) and several rolls of cellophane delivered to repair the Cub so he could fly it home for airworthy repair.

See pictures below, gotta love that Duck Tape, !

Pipercub%201.jpg

Pipercub%202.jpg

Pipercub%203.jpg

Pipercub%204.jpg

Pipercub%205.jpg

Pipercub%206.jpg

Ironballs":37qlc3tp said:
Like the outdoor mounted rifle!

Probably for shooting Bears, which is what cheesed em off, nothing to do with the fish they just recognised the gun. :? :shock: :lol:

houtslager":xwf8qp9c said:
:shock: I want to see the pilots insurance claim form :lol:

I bet there was an exclusion "claws".

And I bet it gave the loss adjustors "paws" for thought. :roll:

Looking at it again what are those pieces clamped to the flaps on the wings? It looks like two big pieces of rubberised ply screwed together with a big nut on it, certainly not very aerodynamic

Ironballs":3va46gnv said:
Looking at it again what are those pieces clamped to the flaps on the wings? It looks like two big pieces of rubberised ply screwed together with a big nut on it, certainly not very aerodynamic

Ironballs - if you look at the final picture of the aircraft ready to fly, they have gone. I think they are just 2 plywood plates (top and bottom) bolted together through the gap between the flaps and the ailerons to stop them blowing about in the wind on the ground.

Worst damage to the structure looks like to the tailplane on the rhs, best seen from the nose on view.

Here in the states Duck tape is 7.00 for 3 rolls ,so its cheaper then skin (aluminum)and remember there are still a lot of fabric planes still flying over here,usually small aircraft.Myself and now gone older brother made a door for a guys plane,the aircraft aluminum was $250.00 for a 5 ft. x 5ft. long piece all we got out of it was the door for a 1947 Luscombe 2 place taildragger.

Back