Beading fenceposts....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exigetastic

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just had a crack at this.... result was less than favourable (which may come as little suprise to most of you)

Basically I want to turn fence posts into newel posts in situ on my deck.

The plan is to bead the corners and run a couple of V grooves in the faces of the posts.

I have done a tester on the least obvious one. Basically I took a belt sander to the post, and this resulted in a much better look than the rough sawn fence post, however not suprisingly (in hindsight) the wood isn't exactly kiln dried :cry: So the router hasn't exactly faired well even with a small beading bit. The bit was brand new btw.

What advice could you guys give?

a) Don't bother it will never work

b) Wait for summer and (hopefully) a few weeks of dry hot weather.

c) Use a different technique (which I am unaware of)

Si

Obviously, the drier the timber, the better. But as the timber dries out it will inevitably move in some way and if they are simply sawn fence posts, there's no guarantee they'll be straight and square either.

Can't imagine this would be any easier to do with a 1/2" router - perhaps you'd be better off with a smaller, lighter 1/4" router?

The only other thing that comes to my mind is perhaps you could take some thinner sections of timber, already 'detailed', and pin them on to the face?

Hi Si, I have done this in the past on my gazebo builds and yes you are correct in that it doesn't give a very good finish to the cut. I normally use a half inch router and cutter for the job with the giude running along the side of the post. I have to say though that I do this before the post is erected which is much easier than once in place. After I have routed the flutes into the post I clean up the cut with an old scraper tool from my lathe ground to a half inch profile of the flute, that is of course assuming your fluting is half inch but you get the idea grind it to fit the bill. It doesn't make a furniture grade finish but is adequate for this sort of build. Just scrape away the rough fibres as best you can and it should clean up pretty well. More work of course but worth it I think. :wink:

Thanks for the feed back guys!

OPJ your idea of pinning a panel sounds sensible, will have to give it a bit of thought as it will add some bulk to the posts (which at 4x4 already) may be a bit "heavy".

Mailee, you're right it isn't going to be furniture grade. My thinking was seconds quality posts would look better than premium quality fence posts.

I think for the time being I'll sand them all, and leave the detailing till the summer. I'll take it slowly and do the corners first, if it still fluffs as badly I'll have another rethink.

Si

Si

If your posts are tanalised or treated, then any cutting will fluff up the grain. This is caused by the treatment and tends to make the fibres rip rather than cut clean.

If the timber is really sun burnt then you might get away with it but don't hold your breath.

Les

les chicken":1gp8wkcl said:
Si

If your posts are tanalised or treated, then any cutting will fluff up the grain. This is caused by the treatment and tends to make the fibres rip rather than cut clean.

If the timber is really sun burnt then you might get away with it but don't hold your breath.

Les

Thanks for the advice Les. You are right they are treated.

Well roll on summer, and I'll have another crack!

Si

Back