BB King RIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
Very sad.

He brought a lot of happiness to us down the years.

We took the family to see him in Cardiff, to celebrate my son's 18th. The kids had really only experienced the nasty noises of the stuff their peer group listens to. BB opened their ears to a world of wonderful stuff they'd previously rejected as being "parents' music". John Mayall was supporting that night - a real 'making memories' evening.

Thanks BB.

E.

I was lucky enough to see him twice, at the Fairfield Hall in Croydon. The second time, Peter Green played with him, which was sad, as Peter had fairly recently resurfaced and, to my mind, was a shadow of his former talent. Both times I was impressed by the other musicians in the band, in fact I don't think BB came onto the stage for the first three numbers. Then, at the end, he'd sit on a chair and talk to the audience as though he was talking to one person. Very special man. The other thing I loved about him was that he appeared to be incapable of singing and playing the guitar at the same time, which I can totally relate to!

I have been a big blues fan for many years. In about 1990 I won a competition in the Daily Record to get 2 tickets to see him at the Theatre Royal in Glasgow and invitations to the buffet after the concert. Brilliant gig and the buffet was pretty good as well. BB was accompanied to the buffet by one of the biggest bouncers that I have ever seen and needless to say we didnt get close to him. Not complaining thoiugh as I can say I was in the same room as him for a meal!
A couple of weeks later it was my birthday and I got a big flat parcel delivered by courier. Lo and behold by sheer coincidence it was a framed and autographed promo of the concert which was sponsored by Black Bottle whisky. I still have the poster although the glass is broken. I think its time I got it fixed and hung up in the workshop.
Many happy memories indeed

I saw him years ago, he sat down and said I play good enough and for long enough to justify sitting down, hope you don't mind. We didnt', he blew us away!

Latest posts

Back