Bathroom Cabinet and shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
Fitted this little oak cabinet and shelves as an extra job for a client today.

MarieAnge1.jpg

The cupboards are from my usual 22mm french oak flooringwith 18mm MFC for the base, top & shelves for ease of cleaning as something sticky usually seems to leak in bathroom cabinets. The door panels were resawn from one board so the grain matched on the two panels. The floating shelves were resawn and glued up from some 4x3" oak that I had in the workshop left from another project.

MarieAnge2.jpg

Used a couple of clip on Blumb blind corner hinges on cam adjustable plates so that the door can easily be tweaked if it moves a bit in the humid bathroom enviroment.

MarieAnge3.jpg

Added a couple of shelves to the oposite wall to balance things up.

Jason

Like this allot, very simple, tho' would have fitted a different handle/knob - in my view, it detracts from the piece but that type of white knob is maybe what the client wanted :?: Not sure - Rob

Beautiful. I love it.

I will defend the choice of a white knob which is the colour of the walls and the colour inside the cabinet. It makes for no surprise when you open the Oak cabinet and you see the white laminate inside, as you opened it using a white knob.

The right panel (when facing the door) is not laminated then, is that correct? (just trying to understand the complete construction).
How are the shelves fixed to the wall, any diagram or WIP?

Nice sash window in this bathroom too.

CYC wrote:

I will defend the choice of a white knob

Fair enoughski - each to his own. I was looking at the first pic of the cabinet as a piece on its own where the white knob, does, in my view, look odd. Taken in the wider context of the white room setting it does pick up the wall colour - Rob

Re the knob, The wall colour is off white so you can rule that one out :D I went for a white porcelain knob as I find they look good against the oak and more importantly go with the white sanitaryware in a bathroom.

The other option was to go for the round glass on chrome rose to match the room door handle and others within the house (used these on the wardrobes)

CYC the two faces of the cabinet against the walls are white, door and paneled end are oak and the fixed panel thet the oak shelves butt against is just solid 22mm oak. All oak is finished with Danish Oil.

The solid oak shelves have a 12x12 groove routed alon the two edges that fit to the wall. I plugged and screwed 12x12 hardwood strips to the wall, applied glue to the strips & groove and pushed the two together.

Can't take the credit for the sash windows. The house is a large victorian villa exactly 100yrs old. It was divided into two in the 60's and the room that the bathroom is in is an extension built a couple of years ago to a very high standard replicating all the details of the original although the sashes are now double glazed. Even though its only half the house they have still got six double sized bedrooms, 4 bathrooms etc and they want to buy the other side of the house when the occupants decide to sell which should give a house in excess of £2m :!:

Jason

Jason,
excellant work as usual.

The solid oak shelves have a 12x12 groove routed alon the two edges that fit to the wall. I plugged and screwed 12x12 hardwood strips to the wall, applied glue to the strips & groove and pushed the two together.

So there is no way to remove the shelves if the bathroom ever needs decorating. This would worry me somewhat.

Andy

dedee":1lwxwpx4 said:
So there is no way to remove the shelves if the bathroom ever needs decorating. This would worry me somewhat.

IMHO it's no different to painting round the cabinet, I wouldn't expect a decorator to remove fitted cabinets to paint around so why have removable shelves? Just needs good cutting in or masking tape. Would be the same situation if you had finished timber architraves and skirtins as well.

Jason

dedee wrote:

Bit like fitting wallpaper around light switches then :roll: :roll: which is what I've got in my house (annoys the hell out of me, GOM) until I do sumat about it. What I always do is take everything I can off walls, paint, and then put it all back again. Takes longer, I know, but looks better in the long run - Rob

That's a nice solution to the kind of storage one needs in a bathroom. I have to build a cabinet soon and was intending to make a corner unit but am now tempted to follow your example

woodbloke":3cw7wav9 said:
What I always do is take everything I can off walls, paint, and then put it all back again. Takes longer, I know, but looks better in the long run

Quite right. Don't you just hate it when you buy a house and the previous owners have painted all over the door locks, hinges, edges of light switches and just about everything else that shouldn't be painted. It looks so slap-dash. Takes ages to get the old stuff off, but it then looks so much better 8)

Paul

Back