Barn find.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Code:
http://datamp.org/patents/displayPics.php?source=xrefType&start=0

Not sure why the link won't work. Try copying and pasting this, as one line.

Sorry about the dud links littering up the thread, there's something about the way that Datamp works that I don't understand. The links worked for me and still do on my phone but not on the PC. The url doesn't contain the whole query and I can't see an easy way to share a search.
But if anyone is still interested, if you go to http://datamp.org and click on the Type tab, then choose Woodworking Machines on the Class drop-down and Joint Making Machines on the Category drop down, you'll get a list of patents running from Marc Brunel's block making apparatus through to stuff from the 1980s. It demonstrates that machinery to cut dovetails like on Mike's washstand were getting attention from inventors from as early as the 1830s with loads more 'improvements' in the 1860s and 70s.

Try this link
search.jpg

Attachments

• search.jpg
    search.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 72
Frustrating, if you've already accessed the site and the file is in your cache all links appear to work, until such time you close the thread window that is.

Thanks AndyT for providing the source location.

I fixed the drawer fronts into position, put the door back on and added a catch, and fixed the little cupboard into place at the top (it waved about in the air, previously. Annoyingly, it doesn't line up with the drawers above. I then carried the unit up to the bathroom and stood it in place:

7rWfmZy.jpg

A warped/ twisted/ splayed leg meant it didn't fit tight to the wall:

cbA20RN.jpg

So, I trimmed a little (well, a lot) off:

1WWbgUJ.jpg

HEvFquS.jpg

Here's the marble top which came with it, marked up for cutting:

ov0HHsl.jpg

XvwtduS.jpg

The back edge also needed a trim, as the front overhang was too large, and this conveniently moved some of the damage areas back to where they would be hidden by the tile splashback:

bkSjdkp.jpg

What a fluke; it fits!

bIRAFZL.jpg

Now, that shortened tile splashback:

1WpHPhB.jpg

Quite clearly that isn't going to do. It looks silly: too small, and not fitting the unit. Bad decision yesterday. I guess I'll have to make a new one, incorporating the tiles I removed yesterday. Ho hum.

The bowl will go roughly where the cake base is. Note the low ceiling just to the right, which is why the basin is here in the first place:

HxCYugt.jpg

Here it is in situ, with the (unfortunately) cut down tile splashback (note the newly delivered hand basin):

sX58VPq.jpg

Time to make a replacement. I found some old bits of architrave:

y3YIu7N.jpg

I ran them through the router:

5M5gw5O.jpg

and made some new ends:

3ivnNCN.jpg

Glued them together:

cGAjkjt.jpg

Added some turnings rescued from the original (you can see the tiles offered in):

VPnNjJZ.jpg

Painted it grey (chalk paint):

o1pl0v6.jpg

Fitted the tiles and the ply backing, and stood it in place:

cylZBlK.jpg

Soon most of the washstand will be painted to match.

Good call on the splashback - it looks much better as an exact fit.

Back