Bandsaw decision : new or old

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithie

Established Member
Reaction score
So I think I'm now very clear what I'll use a bandsaw for (at the max).. woodturning related almost exclusively :

1. shaping up to 12" x 5" (unlikely 6") bowl blanks
2. tidying /cutting down 6"x6" x 12" spindle blanks (& cutting corners off a bit)
3. resawing 6"x6" x12" blocks down to as small as you like (5mm?) so I can join the glueing & turning team one day

In theory the Record 350 at £700ish new with its 5 year gtee will do all that ...so there's my benchmark

- Ebay will most likely give me an old Startrite 352 for a similar price (I only have one phase power)
- ACM (makers of the old startrite stuff) sell a new (as good as) similar machine for about £1700 all up (assuming a bit of haggling) .. http://acmuksaws.co.uk/special_offers.html
- Centauro & Wadkin new machines are a long way the wrong side of £2k

I quite like Nick's old Elektra Beckum in the for sale section here (presumably now the new equiv to this is Metabo?) but there a queue for that so I may not have that option.

So my question is, should I ...

1. Buy old startrite 352 for £750 on ebay (if poss) or new similar from ACM for £1750 (I've got wife sign off..but even then the extra £1k is a lot)
2. Buy a new record 350 for £700
3. Buy something else new cheaper (eg record 300 or equiv Axi/Jet or other) that will probably be ok & upgrade later if needs be
4. Buy something else old (suggestions welcome)

Suggestions / opinions etc welcome

thanks in advance
Keith

If your budget stretches that far there is nice looking Hammer on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Felder-Hammer ... Sw5cNYUFtV

Should add I know little about the Hammer bandsaw just presuming it's OK cause of the brand.

Thing is with bandsaws they are really very simple bits of kit with few moving parts to were out. You buy old second hand how bad can it be? A bearing here or there, maybe some electric's at some stage. All the improtant stuff is on show and easy to check such as tables, frame,guides etc

Your benchmark ....... should be your choice. Record have the reputation, the quality and the guarantee that can not be bettered in my opinion. I have the BS400 and with Tuffsaw blades it does all I would ever want. Your initial thoughts for bandsaw use may extend, so give yourself a little latitude.
Malcolm

I wouldn't part with my old Startrite 352 but £750 seems a bit steep. :shock: i bought mine for £350 which I thought was a fair price.

Whatever you buy, remember it's only as good as the blades you use, plenty of posts on here re that subject!

Bob

The Startrite 14S5 (5 speed) is also worth considering, and normally seem to sell for less than a 352.
The motors on bandsaws are small, and it's a very simple task to replace a 3ph motor with a single phase motor, or better still to fit an inverter (must be a dual rated motor) and get speed control as well as braking. This will allow you to extend the search to 3ph machines and normally the price reduction of these machines will pay for the change/.

Personally speaking I'd hang onto the extra cash and go secondhand.

Call around dealers, I got my bandsaw (Startrite) from Daltons for free, as part of a deal to buy a secondhand Morticer, as the cost of adding a brake was more than they could get for the saw to sell.

Axminster are selling off 16" Jet at significant discounts at the moment (more than your budget though). Much better made than the Record saws but prices are higher. Record use their long guarantee as a sales hook, but for my liking their tools have too much plastic in them (knobs etc are very cheapy) and are not rigid enough for heavy duty use - depends what you want to use them for.

Factor in cost of fetching and fettling Startrite. Good saws, especially if in good nick and running well. Hammer are nice - almost bought one but sales staff were too arrogant and put me off. If I found a good used one at sensible price I would snap it up.

My advice - buy bigger than you think you need. I found that once i had bought my 16" machine I wished I had bought the 18". Good luck.

Thanks all. As ever from this forum, some excellent advice. Second hand with higher capacity from a good brand makes sense to me one ..if I can find it. The cash saved can buy extra beer/wood /tools / parts if req for an old machine etc.

I've got a Record lathe (dml320) which does it's job no problem, but I used to have an old Coronet 'CL' type, so I know what the difference is. There is no problem with Record lathe at all but it does have plastic on it, faceplate holes arent recessed and various other little detail omissions (tho its quieter and more controllable than the Coronet). The Coronet was made back when even hobby equip was at almost industrial standards.

Assuming all works out ok I've (hopefully) dealt on a second hand EB bas 450 (400mm throat, 1.1kw) ...throat is enough and Iguess time will tell whether 1.1kw is enough to resaw 6x6 blocks. Now if only anyone had ever mentioned a good blade adviser / supplier ...lol ...maybe tuffsaws? ;)

Back