Bandsaw build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rspsteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Put my SIP 01444 together today...a few pics as SteveF FORGOT ..lol

unwrapped
069_zps1889844d.jpg~original

Assembled the base which was easy .
070_zps5ea89a18.jpg~original

071_zpsb6284664.jpg~original

On the stand/cabinet
072_zpse639a6d7.jpg~original

rear bearing all adjusted up
077_zpsbd517a4f.jpg~original

Upper guide bearings
076_zps2301890c.jpg~original

Just had a thought ..lol not sure I did the lower bearings!! need to check that in the morning.

Blade squarish..
078_zpse7fb90f2.jpg~original

1st cut
079_zps4e491eca.jpg~original

All in all it was reasonably easy to set up as its the 1st time I have ever touched a bandsaw!

Got it on a Charnwood dolly so I can move it around the shed until I work out where all the tools are going to stay.

I don't think the blade is all that but it will do for now .

Steve

Ps any comments welcome does it look like the bearing are set ok?

On the last pic it looks to me as if the right hand bearing could be a little closer but all in all a good job.

glad u got it together

and yours actually works :D
not had a chance to get at my nvr and re-crimp

Steve

Grahamshed":25nljchj said:
On the last pic it looks to me as if the right hand bearing could be a little closer but all in all a good job.

Its a trick of the light...they are equally apart in real life.

SteveF":14gegphx said:
glad u got it together

and yours actually works :D
not had a chance to get at my nvr and re-crimp

Steve

Yeah I am glad too mate ...yours should be an easy fix but not ideal I guess .

Did you order any new blades yet?

Steve

rspsteve":2pp6vroh said:
Grahamshed":2pp6vroh said:

Its a trick of the light...they are equally apart in real life.
All looks good then.

Looks a good bit of kit now we can see it. :-"

Looks like a nice sized workshop too. (hammer)

One thing though..i made the rear bearing almost touching I think I saw that on the bandsaw setup video but the manual says 3 mm which seems a lot of distance ...any thoughts?

Steve

carlb40":3odr4fpy said:
Looks a good bit of kit now we can see it. :-"

Looks like a nice sized workshop too. (hammer)

It does seem a good bit of kit .

Workshop is 5 x 3 metres was a used to hold a load of junk for a few years till last december I decided to have a go at woodworking..

sold a car to pay some bills and do some home improvements and left myself a tidy lump to set myself up .

Random Orbital Bob":31a5tyx1 said:
The thrust bearing really ought to be just a gnats nadger away from the back of the blade. The idea is that it engages if the backward stress on the blade is too great

Yep that's what I understood..mine is ...I will run out ot the shed in a minute and check the handbook..i am beginning to think I was seeing things ref the 3mm..lol

While I think 3mm is to much I am not sure if .5 is actually enough. Sawing anything at all would put some minor flex on the blade so the bearing would be engaged all the time. I set mine at about 1mm...... but I was only following my own reasoning, I have no idea what is right.

Grahamshed":2fzuqt1x said:
While I think 3mm is to much I am not sure if .5 is actually enough. Sawing anything at all would put some minor flex on the blade so the bearing would be engaged all the time. I set mine at about 1mm...... but I was only following my own reasoning, I have no idea what is right.
.5mm is about right. The bearing is for support. There should be no flex if the side bearings are set correctly and the height for cutting set just above the timber being cut. I would think that if there was too big of a gap between the rear of the blade / thrust bearing, you run the risk of the teeth catching the side bearings during cutting?

Back