Bandsaw blade advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasandrich

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought my first bandsaw, I went for the New Axminster AWHBS310N

So next question is what blades should I get?

I thought

1/4" 10tpi
1/2" 3, 6 and 14tpi (14tpi for occassional metal cutting?)
5/8" 3 tpi

Does that sound like a good general use selection? Main use will be preparing turning blanks.

As stated it will be preparing blanks for turning, so woods inc hardwood up to 4" but down to 0.5" all straight cuts. But that said I would like an assortment of blades so that I can tackle anything the saw is capable of.

Blade selection comes down to intended use. Try to use as few teeth as possible for fast cutting (few teeth = large gullet = excellent swarf removal) but try to use as many teeth as possible for the smoothest cut (more teeth = smaller cuts = slower cutting).

So it's a compromise.

Try to have at least 3 teeth in the workpiece at all times. Cutting thin stuff with a coarse blade will give you a hard ride as each tooth will bang into the workpiece.

So, for ripping, I use 1/2" 3 TPI. This will also do for turning blanks provided they are 200mm or so in diameter, or larger. For smaller blanks 3/8 or even 1/4" would be better. Skip tooth will give a more aggressive cut.

For thinner stock, or smoother finish, I use a 1/4" 6TPI or 8TPI standard tooth.

I do 95% of my BS work with these two blades.

If your BS has smallish wheels, consider the Woodpecker blades from Starrett. They have a flexible back with hardened teeth, so they can bent round a small wheel more readily than a carbon steel blade or an M42.

They can be also be sharpened and set, unlike carbon steel blades (well, you might get one or at most two sharpenings out of one, but essentially they are disposable.) An alloy blade (trad) can be sharpened and set as many times as you like, but does not hold its edge as well.

HTH
Steve

Latest posts

Back