bandsaw 1, thumb 0

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday after explaining very carefully to my wife she must never ever put her hands on the bandsaw table. Two minutes later as I finished the last bit the end vibrated back to wards the blade. Without thinking I pushed it away with mu left hand even though I had a push stick in my right hand with the end resting on the table.
Result, I bandsawed off the end of my nail and just shaved the skin off the end of my thumb.
I have to admit it has scared me because I know the saw could easily have taken my whole thumb and I wouldn't have felt the cut. It was cold out there (about 0C) and i was tired but just wanted to finish that last cut. I have been aware for many years when you get tired accidents happen and I could easily have really hurt myself through a mixture of stupidity and not paying attention.
I have had the odd mishap with machinery over the years but they have always been non preventable accidents, this was self inflicted.
So guys, when you get tired.. Stop using anything that can bite.

Easily done. I had a miss-hap many years ago with a router table and it shook me up. On the upside it can used to remind oneself of the dangers day in day out. Glad it was not worse and use the experience to keep you focused.

Cold is a funny thing. Many years ago when in digs doing my training I offered to sharpen up all their garden and workshop tools. Had my horizontal wetstone grinder and set it up in a bitterly cold garage. When sharpening a short chisel I noticed something going around on the waterstone in a spiral. Bit confused as I was using water so what could I see? Ahh I had a nice flat spot on my thumb and had ground down to flesh. Didn't feel a thing until my hands thawed out.

Some 15 or 20 years ago, I had a pretty serious mishap with a bandsaw (through my own stupidity); have never been comfortable using it or any other workshop machinery since. When I see people working with bandsaws and their fingers are literally (it seems to me) millimetres from the moving blade I wince....

Always stop when tired - quite apart from the risk of injury, blood on the work is never a good lookand tiredness is a reipe for mistakes whether or not involving injury. Good tip about cold, hadn't thought of that, but it does point up the value of safe practices.

Jim

Beau":1fmi6vqq said:
Easily done. I had a miss-hap many years ago with a router table and it shook me up. On the upside it can used to remind oneself of the dangers day in day out. Glad it was not worse and use the experience to keep you focused.

Cold is a funny thing. Many years ago when in digs doing my training I offered to sharpen up all their garden and workshop tools. Had my horizontal wetstone grinder and set it up in a bitterly cold garage. When sharpening a short chisel I noticed something going around on the waterstone in a spiral. Bit confused as I was using water so what could I see? Ahh I had a nice flat spot on my thumb and had ground down to flesh. Didn't feel a thing until my hands thawed out.

Have done the same using a waterstone. You just don't feel them abrading away skin.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this reminder to us all.

Yep I did something similar many years ago with my bandsaw and cut my knuckle. Was late in the day after a lot of cutting which had blunted the blade but I only had a couple of cuts left and my missus said dinner was on the table, you can guess the rest. #-o

Worst I had were a 90mm Paslode nail into my little finger which chipped the bone and a cut through a glove via an angle grinder. Both a stupid lapse of attention, cold day and tired. I felt no pain for several minutes but the grinder cut at least was bloodless as it cauterised. That one took many months to heal, but I was very lucky not of the accidents were serious.

even with handtools, the only accidents that have happened to me have been related to being tired, I doubt it's a coincidence.

Yes you're right. It's dangerous to work with sharp tools when you're tired. Mind you, I have problems when I'm wide awake! The last one I like to call my "tulip finger".

woodfarmer":3vvdzpyc said:
I know the saw could easily have taken my whole thumb and I wouldn't have felt the cut.

Trust me you do, it's quite painful even when you just cut half your thumb off.

"Trust me you do, it's quite painful even when you just cut half your thumb off. "

Been there, done that - didn't hurt at the time but stung like hell next day. Entonox helps greatly on the way to hospital. Best bet is keep the pink bits away from the rapidly rotating metal bits.
skelph

While its my first reply I should add that having been the medical profession for over twenty years I have seen most accidents involving woodworking machinery and bigger machines as well :shock: as said its not always the newbys that have accidents, I myself managed to nail two of my fingers together with a 50mm brad, using a pneumatic nailer :roll: :roll: it hurt more pulling it out than when it went in. FF

Back