Bad news, advice sought.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi Deserter
I would just like to wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well for you.
all the best
paul-c

Sometimes, just doing what you love, what you were born to do, rather than being idle, can compensate for some reduction of income. You certainly have nothing to lose by trying it on your own, and very much to gain. Not sure why some feel the need to make social commentary on a site like this, but I wish you the best of luck!

Jake

Deserter - just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I was made redundant in March this year and so decided to try going full time with my dolls house miniatures business. The job market was such that getting another job in my current profession was pretty much zero and I didn't fancy working in a supermarket.

It's been incredibly hard work and sales are few but my potential market is small so it's not to say you would find the same. I'm sure there's a lot more people needing an odd job man.

Go for it though. I have enjoyed it much more than I did my job and it's better than having to go to the job center (been there after Uni and no jobs - hated it)

Jennifer,

My advice, take the "£15" if you can get it, take "£10" if you have to and whilst you are doing that work out how you are going to get the "£40". Keep active and get networking. Tell anyone that will listen what you can do, get on facebook etc and show pictures of your work, whatever it is.

It's all very well saying that you need to work out your o/heads plus this, plus that and it's all good practice BUT nothing beats being out there in peoples faces whilst others sit back and moan about why they can't find a job for the right money.

Be positive. You might fall flat on your face, you might not.

That's all very well but it's still sticking your head in the sand if you don't have all the information. You could even be working at a loss if you just kid yourself that it's all 'profit'. Do you think it's poor advice to suggest working out costs properly? It isn't as if it's difficult or costs anything. Yes you can choose to do loss making or low profit jobs at the start if that is your game plan but you still need to have an eye on what's happening financially rather than hoping that it will all work out great as long as your busy.

John

It's really very simple, and I'm not the first to say it. It's people that will make you a success, not planning. Planning is necessary, and you need to have a handle on your costs and outgoings but - if you are out of work and your option is £65 a week (i think this figure has been mentioned on this thread?) and you have the opportunity to earn "£15" an hour but you skip it because you have decided that you need to earn "£30" because you have to make a profit over and above your living costs you have to be mad!

I'll give you an example of what I mean. I'm currently fitting a kitchen for a client. When I went to see the client, they weren't asking me to quote for a kitchen, but a staircase. Staircases are ok, but I don't make a great deal on them, they are big, heavy and awkward on my own. Whilst I was there, we got chatting and the whole kitchen thing comes up and I get the job, great. Here's where it get's interesting, it turns out that the clients are just doing up the property to sell and wouldn't normally have a local joiner make their kitchens, they have the likes of Clive Christian make their kitchens for their homes, as do their friends. Now I'm in the frame for the next kitchen, and it won't be a "budget" one like I have made now, it will be much bigger and higher spec. Also, the client has at least 2 friends waiting on the outcome of my work to see if they would like me to quote for their kitchens......and that's how it goes.

If I analysed all the jobs that I do, I reckon I would probably not bother with stairs.

Stuart
That is a most excellent example of what it's like when you do a good job and it all goes well.
We'll all drink to more of that!
S

I'd say not to worry too much ( just worry enough to keep yourself on the ball) as I am a strong believer (& proof) that if you have skills, honesty, manners & integrity then there's enough work out there.

My business of 8 years failed 18months ago due to year after year of bad debts (& yes poor management) puttiing me & my partner out of work. In the same fortnight almost all of my working age family were made redundant. It was a time of tears n stress but now we are stronger & all learning a ok living (I'm on my best money to date!) not one of us ever claimed benefits we just got out there & found a job or found who wanted something doing. My partner does 5 different jobs - mainly for very grateful elderly ladies for less than £15p/h & loves it. We had only a small amount of savings but we made it work & we cannot believe how well we've done- but hell, self employement & running a business is all consuming. If you are not into paperwork & highly organised then you are in for an even harder time ...& accountants are expensive & accountancy is hellish but it's all manageable & it really will make you get out of bed a lot easier than if you work at a sh*&^y job.

This is all fairly irrelevent but what is is that during this turmoil I have also been trying to making furniture for a living. You have these skills already but I am still a hobbiest. I have been very candid with people about my novice skills but I've had a fair amount of interest with 3 commissions from 1 customer who loves my work & is willing to wait as I just cannot make things fast enough. I also cannot make things fast enough to keep up with my overheads (£50 p/w for a workshop really does add up!!) but I have a day job to fund it.. so when I knock off from that job I get into my workshop for another 1/2 day. If you could work from home you'd save £1000's.

I have started by making things for my house as samples & then designed & published a website (or 2) & could have my stuff in local shops on sale or return basis but it's chance encounters & word of mouth that have got me known so far. What I have found that gets me noticed most is my enthusiasm, honesty & my work. Almost everyone I speak to about making furniture is interested & would like something made but think it'd be far too expensive. My skills will not be a patch on yours but that does not seem to matter too much as most people do not see the odd millimeter gap here n that glare back at me - as long as there is integrity in the whole piece & it's original & handmade (almost) & the price is right. There is an importer of very poor quality Asian furniture in Brum - is held together with pins, filler & luck but it sells !

My designs are my own but hardly original & certainly not ground-breaking or ultra modern but I get very pleasing responses from people who see it. I have quoted MUCh cheaper than local (real) craftsmen but I know I could make a go of it at these prices if I could only speed up & dry my cheapo Oak to keep up.

Follow your heart ..until your belly or bank account squeeks.

Good luck.

Firstly, sorry to hear of your situation - if you've been made redundant 12 times in ~20 years, I'm not surprised you're looking at self-employment as an alternative!

There's been some sound advice here, although advising on day/hourly rates is almost impossible for anyone who isn't in your area, in your situation. All I will say is that it's easy to drop your rates, much harder to raise them, and better all round to get them right first time. If it helps, I have a 'cost of doing business' spreadsheet that I put together to see if my business was viable when I set up 12 years ago - PM me your details if you're interested and I'll send you a link.

FWIW, I was a professional photographer for 20-odd years when that business imploded in 2000 - the work just stopped as surely as if someone had turned off a tap. I was 40, and decided that I'd had enough of hawking my portfolio around agencies looking for work, so took a career change, starting a general handyman business with nothing but a mobile phone, a roof-rack for the car, a few hand/power tools and a positive attitude. Picked up my first job by pushing cards through doors, advertised in all the local directories as much as possible and as the business started to build then so did the personal recommendations. I haven't advertised for years, and these days do very little 'handyman' work, having grown the business into mostly custom cabinet/bookcase/fitted wardrobe/alcove unit/kitchen and bathroom type work. But I'm still not too choosey about what I do; I've just finished a weeks work decorating a knock-through sitting-room for an extremely fastidious customer who was impressed with my tidiness when I fitted some wardrobes for them recently; getting paid carpentry money just for painting - easy life ;)

So, if you're not too fussed about what you do there's always work to be found. If it's what you want to do, then take a look around to see what help is available for start-up businesses in your area - there may be grants or other subsidies available. And don't forget about public liability insurance - just in case...

Good luck, Pete

Deserter

Sorry to hear about your situation

I have been self employed for 17 years making furniture and I will say the last few have been some of the toughest I have known, this year it has finally begun to improve again.

I would echo the advice of not selling yourself to cheap, as if you start off in your shed at a low rate you will make a living, the problem comes when you have run out of space and you need to take on commercial premises.

If your regulars are used to your low rates they will go elsewhere when your are forced to put them up to pay for a lot higher overheads.

You would be far better to charge a proper manufacturing rate on par with your competitors from day one, and sell your skill and customer service and put the extra money you will be making aside to invest in machinery when you need to move to bigger premises.

I would get a feel of how much other makers are charging locally for the type of work you want to do and how much rents and rates are etc, and base you business model on that.

The other thing to bare in mind is not to run before you can walk, and expand to quickly, as once you are self employed the government pretty much washes it hands of you as far as benefits are concerned, so there won't be the dole to fall back on if it goes belly up.

All that said if you have the drive and can accept that you will probably be earning less than working for someone else for the next few years go for it.

I have to agree with Steve's points about the amount of work you get paid for, I started a 8.00 am this morning, have had a client meeting , ordered materials, sorted out a problem in the timber store ( all things you can't charge directly for ) and after I have finished my lunch will start some paying work until I go home at 7.00 pm tonight.

Also make time for yourself as the old saying "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" really applies to working for yourself, as well as making you over tired and causing mistakes and possibly making you ill, as others have found on here.

Tom

tomatwark":3haxgyfm said:
Also make time for yourself as the old saying "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" really applies to working for yourself, as well as making you over tired and causing mistakes and possibly making you ill, as others have found on here.

Tom

+1 :) totally agree, if your tired and your head isn't straight you're in trouble

Hi Deserter,
I've been self employed for 20 years now, through 2 deep recessions and a boom. During the recessions it was a good thing I'm a dab hand at cooking rice and curried lentils, because that's what we lived on for quite a while.

I agree with both sides of these arguments. You can easily charge 15 pounds an hour for odd jobs, and then if a fitted kitchen comes up you can do it on a price, noone's going to know what hourly rate you're charging, the important thing is to know what everyone else is charging and work out whether you can (or need to, depending on the customer) undercut them. Also some customers want the cheapest job possible with corners cut and others want the best finish you can achieve and are prepared to pay for it. It is incredibly important to find out which type your customer is and not make assumptions about them.

So
i) Listen to your customers. and ask all the questions you need to to find out exactly what they want. I actually think this is the most important of all. We now have 2 shops and see customers all day, and communication with the client is paramount. It can save you a lot of expensive mistakes where one person thinks one thing has been agreed, and the other person thinks something completely different. If noone else with a sucessful business has mentioned it, it's because they are doing it right subconsciously.
ii)Find out the rates for the things that you'd like to make - hopefully you know a lot of prices if you've been working as a cabinetmaker recently.

I'm a person who likes to keep the overheads down as much as possible, I never buy anything until I really know I need it, but other people seem to flourish spending all their savings on equipment and premises and make them work straight away. This may be a person specific issue and may not make much difference to the success of a business.

And yes, get yourself a website asap. For a general information site Mr Site isn't too bad, a bit limited but cheap. You'd only need a five page site, with a gallery of work - hopefully you have photos of things you make at your last job? That'd cost about 30 pounds a year with a free domain name included. Everyone wants to look things up on a website nowadays. It seems to add a sense of legitimacy.

Hope this is of some use, and good luck. We started our first joinery/cabinetmaking business at the beginning of a recession, and we certainly didn't get rich quick, but we survived. We didn't make the things we would have preferred to make for a long time, but we got there in the end. And got experience in the meantime.

All the best,

Heather

A few thoughts from someone who's had quite a few contractors in recently. Which might help.

If you're doing a big complex job, make sure you itemise the whole lot. Say what you're going to do and when you're going to do it by. Don't promise to do something and then not do it. Clean up properly after yourself, especially if you're doing a small job in a house that's tidy. There's nothing worse than having to finish something a contractor has done poorly and then having to do all the cleaning up. I think every job I've had done recently, I've had to do some extra work to tidy up something the contractors have missed. Even with snag lists they still seem to miss stuff.

As for a website (which is my area of expertise) then it's well worth getting one. As others have mentioned, make sure the site is professional and has all the information people might want. A good example would be the one petermillard posted - http://www.carpenterhandyman.com/, lots of detail, good photos, nice and simple and all the contact details on it However if you're going to get one, don't spoil the effect by having a aol/hotmail email account on the website. If you've gone to the expense of getting a domain name, make sure you also get the email to go with it. It's possible to redirect your [email protected] email address to another email address. You can pay for stuff like Mr Site, but it's also possible to use things like either tumblr or wordpress for free. Tho, to be fair, Mr Site does actually look decent, I've never used it however.

Wordpress:
http://wordpress.com/
http://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/ (if you want to link your domain up, it costs $13 per year)

Tumblr:
https://www.tumblr.com/
http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_domains

As for domain registration, yes you can use 123-reg (I did for a while) but I would strongly advise you pay a couple more quid and go for these guys:
http://www.gandi.net/domain

123-reg (and even worse 1&1) are the B&Q of the domain registration world. If you ever get a web developer in to do you a website then they'll thank you for not having to deal with 123-reg.

Alan Jones":3sjowe4j said:
DW etc please listen to Steve, he knows what he's talking about.
Like him I've been self employed most of my life and the most common mistake people make is to confuse turnover with profit
Always remember turnover is vanity, profit is sanity

And Steve you should know better than to get in a fight with a "Crazy Cat Lady" :lol: :lol:

Just to complete the quote ....I first heard it from my ancient Finance Director some 35 yrs ago.

Turnover is Vanity
Profit is Sanity
Cash is Survival.

Al

Deserter,

Much of the advice above is great. Collate it and you almost have a manual on how to get started.

What can I add. Not too much although the post by Moz was great and well worth following. So learn to use Excel if do not already.

I like the following as thoughts about business start-ups....I've done 11 to date not all for me though.

1) Remember "You can either take action or you can hang back and hope for a miracle" Peter Drucker. Taking ACTION is much underrated. Just get to it. Make a plan NOW, very quickly write it down step by step and get going. At the end of the day take 5 minutes to check what you've done, revise the plan for tomorrow...go to sleep.

2) Remember you will need customers. So always be promoting the Brand known as You...open, honest, truthful. Always promote always for every minute you have a chance to to everyone....even if it's just a quick chat with someone in the Library.

3) FOLLOW the advice Moz gave you about how to calculate the rate for the job. You may be happy with £15 per hour but remember to ADD in all of the costs of doing the biz on top...materials, tax, diesel, tea, etc etc etc etc etc etc.

4) Build a spreadsheet..EXCEL...and have two sides one for Income and one for Outgings/Expenditure/Expenses by JOB....always calculate if you are really making a profit. Its the only way to learn.

5) If its a job with lots of stuff then DO NOT be shy about asking for a deposite. Say 40 to %0% it will cover you for all materials if nothing else.

6) Always have a simple to understand contract preferably on one sheet of paper and an attached specification of the work, the start date, the staged dates and the end date. keep it simple but protect yourself.

7) Enjoy it. Occasionally goof off. Play golf for an afternoon.

regards and good luck
Alan

morfa":1cw4wc5p said:
As for domain registration, yes you can use 123-reg (I did for a while) but I would strongly advise you pay a couple more quid and go for these guys:
http://www.gandi.net/domain

123-reg (and even worse 1&1) are the B&Q of the domain registration world. If you ever get a web developer in to do you a website then they'll thank you for not having to deal with 123-reg.

I only use 123reg for buying the domains, I do not use any of their hosting/ email services at all. As a domain purchase place 123reg is about as good as they get!

The advantage with 123reg is they are cheap for domains and you have FULL control of everything to do with them from the control panel.. dns/ advanced dns/ nameservers and everything where with many other domain buying/ hosting companies you are limited in what you can do - most notably on many it is not possible to change dns or nameservers, some you have to request these changes, with 123reg you just log in and do it yaself.

123reg hosting is not great, or wasn't, it also used to be hellish expensive so I use a different host and just buy the domain at 123reg - I note they have now reduced hosting prices quite sharply and offer cloud hosting etc but I have never had a single problem with the host I use so will continue with them until I do at least.

I simply buy the domains at 123reg, change the nameservers to my hosts servers and then set up the www, email, subdomains, ftp or whatever I need via my web hosts control panel. My hosting package gives me unlimited addon domains so to all intent and purpose for about £80 a year I can have as many websites as I like with unlimited space, bandwidth and email boxes.

I really cannot see any reason why a web developer would have any issue with domains bought through 123reg unless you are confusing domain name registration with hosting?

Back