Baby Changing Unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
So I thought I'd run through a recent build to see if it's of interest to anyone, and to welcome any advice for how to do things differently.

With a sprog imminent, SWMBO tasked me with building a baby changing unit. We had purchased some canvas baskets from ikea, and also had a changing mat, so I wanted to build the unit to accommodate them. I also wanted to ensure that we could remove the partition on the top later, so it could be used as a normal drawer unit as sprog grows older.

Gluing up the panels so they can dry while I concentrate on the rest

y3mUtg1C7zVRovb_BSGMbhPrUjUD00hkDGOPTfsnk772fnuGOch-U6g8DiPnLd5lysnpTFw4TIOTDFi2_1iPPVHEgXyM2fCHfOgxsDd24O8NYIm0N8n8PmLLtlPijrd2Ejcfi2gHBTguOSaWSOHiXbu8LQQfpjckr7i_gcNiRdcVBg

Cutting the legs to rough size and tapering the ends

y3mNtiEiZ7U2gEADtxXCFdT_XMOC97KpNSHt9h-voOVkiSXwSgKBBi1C0gRqQyIHlvtg1_vJwo8_It1ZMyI7MHUZ8tCFUFMf5sDJsGr0P8oty2S7JvpzjfVX4Uk7Hy9RCfciM4bAq6KprO6nezd7vkGq42IBcpBUoLHLqCYXBP_414

Dry fit of the legs and rails using the domino

y3mpFp-8r2yhULsWDlRGQeRFin19IVVLVQK8Z6Zj98jEH79n1jgdZsrb5urXyqA_pHT7ijMRBg1TqISjyY8QcWgy8UdckT2ovY45wGE2npRVqtPvgYl37SBVwQVklRLRyLNSYVfCR2Ro9Marr4emVMYdGeO19tXH9XN5as-OusmRnU

Creating the grooves for the ply panels. I cut them with stops, so the groove wouldn't be visible

y3mO286aIexYI4yO5fkhc9qgaodNWu7RsuI9Hpvw5TZaImxF9vP41ZvQk1RjhxxMa2kc_SnT3SEcNSIt9dI4n3MXmwj3ZLO6FFCloTb0mxQtNEemN_qwTc_6GaS6K5ukJT6OvuqRVHp4zbQ_1WJNiChK6N_p1QlGMDuvAPR01dLCU0

Dry fit of the sides. Notice I bodged up the placement of the dominos near the top, but fortunately the second mortice is covered by the middle shelf panel!

y3mCp8mzU0O8pVm6ZB4W2VkQkMWXyVql8W30wS5ObZik_LTIMDlNKTt60idLlVADZOJ30wk6zylvwZAyS8xHOJkAXeqWBAE_6KlE7tWILi4YH-SHItqee7yVhykxbgbhwDHPnhR4ND7a96a6zDfza6jlRwln1XECTYCHZyYiCZN9qg

Dry fit of the main structure. I'm using 6mm ply for the panels, as they don't need to be rock solid (although they're pretty damn solid anyway when properly encased.

y3mR5bK_5MPNqhorRdq1qhR5Uw0B6_qsGJc2J6IByMz4rfNDXQIkhNK8Oe4Bm0YRvD1TEbIWa4KtSip8eLBMgL-8RBu7yyeWYF7jY-fOTYhDYHMzzSph16bc_YKDx4Un0KYtU2ayYX2uEsdSrYoL5SBqddoRROvm_SrhGCetoVSyY4

I had to notch the middle shelf so it sits within the shape of the sides. It was a real pain to do, because the panel was too large to cut on the bandsaw with a fence. Instead, I had to cut with a multi-tool and sand. Unfortunately, I wasn't as accurate as I'd hoped, and there were gaps of around 1-3mm. I'm going with the excuse that it allows for expansion and contraction :D

y3mN1Sz8X91ASsyvyx6_yiKmz8mExex5F0voUfk-6UBLky49HZx0DCijaDLSv7Eq5tmPOhaIJ4CyknnK7idGiHOqi_EESBBA5zQ1voYdlCrDJquU-JwpDurRvAqKmr94_xNHAa4P80k7czXzsrfvS6YEkM8AyPqsdnhjgXZ5rjOgIk

Another dry fit complete with intended expansion and contraction gaps :D

y3mHeczvOOReqxs-tlfHN9oqI0ZpPVkgZezKfKO4QiME7sHfaU1OppXviyuA0l25fqHRvahN5gIA8YTNR2XJMMrX984XoxF1KdNFC-Vbs0EuzhLpfm1wXSMGskrdkjgRmACKSKm28EHFs6Z3wjKAkkXrXn1Z63zoI7xXMWkv1d33LQ

Finally gluing up so I don't have to do anymore dry fits! Dominos can be a real pain to get out of the mortices!

y3m7XIX63OYpj72FuQ3SPRP2vAyvgcvKf4ldbwkdEXAt5yjVKauFIWf90HI8hghJdBXy2nsCpAQaMUJjUo_FlzxUSxc4woQY_V2HZQldK5UlcT3XaRRkvszYMyblE0x2HiqkzoHoj_YXfBXoEK6NnwGom_41Ke5Cs-d_keY5yUw3g4

Adding the central partitions and draw partitions. These are just screwed on, as they won't be visible

y3mno1272lIMnUxagK5kXRU6xizGZrTGb434nNKYi_AayVjy0fOaGgSNJqEksPWFGVrp4VWunlYFqLKrM-rtdJUupexy1oMceWea2YeoHVi8TZNuULyj1HTRBRZZvBITZUTH_NIHAsJGBIfqLh2KXm3TSvhnTf_RSukS8Iwj3g6GI8

Lots of sanding and then three coats of white gloss. It's surprisingly hard to cover freshly sanded natural wood with gloss!

y3m9ZLdfuhI1R08CrrcSntjJXlCKEcSz8A5dXQLLWlmsPYUidNQ9MxZQIir6aCgNC8y6pdYfEM1on5tvmaynsL4KlJRNdwuwIQZV1IJqI98pr73jXJTxrAYjSW5I0jfXcQqrsWkvA9bOJiQU3CKDst3TohbJiFvFDj8Cx4gW4xdP_A

Cutting drawer fronts to fit, using spacers to get an even space around. I'm building the drawers as a single unit rather than with a separate front.

y3mCJHdX_6Q41b--GLTwYqWfBf2A4IONma5vrxbEZeHtBlXJtRwQtqTMX5wSYUkAZUbc6huF-Mg3iMzNtEcz_mEf3dzDhYikRH5pkqucLpKcRoxTEoxCgZ7dIvfx_jzmbrpB-38vUBEYSTMvflprAY8kZenY0nFvWthK5N6VsmRZ9c

Installation of the drawer slides. I'm using 500mm full extension slides. Not particularly cheap, but very smooth and solid

y3m78_xSTWldkMuZr2W0xN_WSicaON6Uv3lx0hKfdqyPI2rmnMsFBSTEl1Irt_MvHGd05z4MhWJvMvbdgbp4Z40JUyMMtPs1liEa04He4CSTYiyQrhajaKN_8_jO7uNmTyfBOz512vm7zULRSuqc8rfU6_cDHXMCgISB83TVXPVFfo

Construction of the drawers. I toyed with the idea of doing some fancy joinery, but it seemed pointless when they were going to be glossed. I decided to use dominos instead

y3me77Hwvx5T3UUchLBXZLGNcm_8nC97zIG02v8aib_YZkSDQoQCtDLlfvqFB2w88pOsMMKQXdBsLr3hZypXSn6Z0IMiKpZXEM6jHT2B1Uw-tLxuFXbf88ZWQWbhrgFUfJOljdXckeCVbepT0SrbXESbh_kEKfvCKfk0kz-msT8wKM

Drawers installed and working beautifully. I chamfered the edge of the drawer fronts partly to add some design interest, but also to mitigate the inevitable misalignment that happens over time with drawer edges

y3ms6GNSi-sZeegoHHYYVb736TLqSNet4ullIP11HkuLBxIsQL_6rKb-2diMIqEuM1duU72OdCK1OBTDSYNLuPciLasF9Hlox68RmDBAIqsR5-DWzV34dixPu0m4hUG-3di6_v6fnDwsieTQxgo5ErxfncUV58eb-nOgOuGwQ606kw

Glossed drawers, and some simple wooden drawer pulls finished with briwax. Also added the top and finished that with briwax too.

y3mV768HPYEROEer0jTutzBZ2nxhu0uTvWnt-7xbju14DYD7ofVaNFFw1ZbMF6jpIMxGHV9dkcosH6IwlPVjB-MTf6bCX17daZLd8qSOCaZDkfXrr9YvjUI_saHejj5ARLrpjv4piRvtENyST0-5no3JVrqqAlED9VRbWeudSfku6w

The finished product, with a simple and removable partition on the top.

y3mNwbgSMuZXKJnkF4xn5DN0kyfh7vezGudH1XgP_VNoPZO1BcvIWb7RCNiEFknNG2Yqa5pKVxdmc4_wSgKIWI4WygBJFs6I2tCLU8_WMNinXQYXBmRDuLMZ5_7uoSWw1aZTQNqNQV3W4gkKgnrF4tLFs-e4pMdlO-jpXQ7_WZsdXc

Great looking project, hope you have as much DIY time after the little one arrives.

CHJ":2xolzipx said:
Great looking project, hope you have as much DIY time after the little one arrives.
Thanks very much - I hope so too! I'm convinced my two weeks' paternity leave is going to equate to two weeks of diy.

No? :(

Not sure I can recommend anything- The end product speaks for itself !!! Job well done !

Coley

Excellent work! Having recently done the same, I have some very bad news for you regarding free time for DIY...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Lovely job and will be all the more satisfying when it's put to good use.
Well done!

Love that, it's great. Wish I'd made one for my daughter.
That will hopefully last a few generations.

My daughter is about to give birth in a few weeks’ time, I am going to build something like this for her too. Any chance you can share the dimensions?

morturn":3cb14bcz said:
My daughter is about to give birth in a few weeks’ time, I am going to build something like this for her too. Any chance you can share the dimensions?
Of course - pm me your email and I can send you my sketchup file or images of the plans if you don't use sketchup

Fantastic work Matt. It'll be there for years to come by the lols of things!
When our wee one arrived I decided to build her cot.
Don't know about you but I found it really satisfying building it given who the 'client' was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slemishwoodcrafts":30yo6wa3 said:
Fantastic work Matt. It'll be there for years to come by the lols of things!
When our wee one arrived I decided to build her cot.
Don't know about you but I found it really satisfying building it given who the 'client' was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely - thank goodness she liked it! You're never than I am, I drew the lube at building a cot and went for the easier option!

Very nice, I wouldn't plan any woodwork in to occupy your paternity time off, oh and remember, no pics, it didn't happen so I look forward to seeing young Matt?

Stew

Baldhead":5p4i784h said:
MattRoberts":5p4i784h said:
Young Mattilda! ;)
Nothing wrong with girls, I've got two, just make sure they marry handy blokes, otherwise you'll get, "dad can you do this, dad can you do that" etc etc believe me, I know!

Stew

Ha! I know that one Stew!

Latest posts

Back