Axminster Precision Rules

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ordered two of these, one 150mm and 300mm. Very dissapointed as they have used a grey colour for the etching. Unless you turn it at the right angle you can't see it as the grey blends in with the steel

Why an earth would they not used a black??

Send them back.
Axminster also sell some Japanese made rules in pearl chrome with black and red metric scales. In have the 600mm and use a veritas sliding ruler stop on it. V useful. Good for setting the saw track parallel with a pre cut edge.
I also like the look of the similar rule available from workshop heaven but those only go upto 300mm size.

Sideways":1fpoaxm6 said:
Send them back.
Axminster also sell some Japanese made rules in pearl chrome with black and red metric scales. In have the 600mm and use a veritas sliding ruler stop on it. V useful. Good for setting the saw track parallel with a pre cut edge.
I also like the look of the similar rule available from workshop heaven but those only go upto 300mm size.

Not really worth the effort. I'm just annoyed as to why they would do it in the first place???

You have to wonder who designs these things sometimes...

True, but these will irritate you for as long as you own them. It's worth returning them in my view. The postage cost will be tiny compared to the miles you have not driven going to check them in person before buying.
Ever done that thing where the rule is flat down on a smooth surface and you just can't get a fingernail under to pick them up ? No more ! The workshop heaven rules have a smart little raised tab at the end to help you pick them up. As you're not looking for longer rules, they might be ideal ...

At a tangent - high quality design for readibility (of watches, instruments, etc) is not that common. For the few design classics like sinn pilots instruments, mondaine clocks and watches and the like, there is a huge volume of inferior design.

Sideways":w619i1e8 said:
True, but these will irritate you for as long as you own them. It's worth returning them in my view. The postage cost will be tiny compared to the miles you have not driven going to check them in person before buying.
Ever done that thing where the rule is flat down on a smooth surface and you just can't get a fingernail under to pick them up ? No more ! The workshop heaven rules have a smart little raised tab at the end to help you pick them up. As you're not looking for longer rules, they might be ideal ...

I'll just give them to some other poor soul:) ... as a 'present'.

Sideways":w619i1e8 said:
At a tangent - high quality design for readibility (of watches, instruments, etc) is not that common. For the few design classics like sinn pilots instruments, mondaine clocks and watches and the like, there is a huge volume of inferior design.

I have cheapo steel rulers that are more than 10 years old that are black etched and very easy to read. The only reason I bought these was to get something metric only.

I'm wondering if this is due to the way the Axminster ones are laser etched?

transatlantic":28turfyo said:
Sideways":28turfyo said:
Send them back.

Not really worth the effort. I'm just annoyed as to why they would do it in the first place???

You have to wonder who designs these things sometimes...

I would send them back.

The shinwa hardened steel rules with the depth stops are unbeatable.

I have this rule and I must say it’s the best I have ever had. In my workshop lighting it is extremely clear and easy to read, the best thing I like about it is that if you don’t need the half mm edge you just flip it over and you get the full mm scale.

I purchased some of the self adhesive stainless tape that Axminster had as a one time deal last week, it’s very easy to read, I would have to send the rulers back as not fit for purpose

Attachments

• 4C89ACE8-3CA3-4523-B49F-875DB7EC3C88.jpeg
    4C89ACE8-3CA3-4523-B49F-875DB7EC3C88.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 239
transatlantic":38ad1hxo said:
Ordered two of these, one 150mm and 300mm. Very dissapointed as they have used a grey colour for the etching. Unless you turn it at the right angle you can't see it as the grey blends in with the steel

Why an earth would they not used a black??

Would wiping them over with a Black Sharpie fill the etching enough to improve the readability?

Eric The Viking":8avh7xut said:
Marineboy":8avh7xut said:
I have this rule and I must say it’s the best I have ever had. In my workshop lighting it is extremely clear and easy to read, the best thing I like about it is that if you don’t need the half mm edge you just flip it over and you get the full mm scale.
Er, which rule, exactly?

The clue is in the thread title - ‘Axminster Precision’. Mine’s the 150mm.

Marineboy":2oz36o3f said:
Fair point. For the sake of clarity, I meant the Axi Precision. It certainly works for me.
Ah, OK, thanks.

I bought one of the Axminster 1000mm ones recently, and it is certainly very clear.

But I also bought one of their ruler stops too, and was VERY frustrated that either the ruler was too wide or the stop didn't open far enough.

My other two "big" steel rules are 24" (600mm) from Draper. The older one is excellent (20+ years old), but getting a bit nibbled now. The newer one was intended to replace it, BUT flipping it over reveals that the inch scales has an offset right at the beginning, where it was never indexed properly against the end of the ruler when the scale was marked. It's quite a lot, about 0.3mm (1/64" or 1/32", enough to make it awkward to use for precise internal measurements. Metric side OK-ish, t'other side not. It's quite annoying, especially as it looks to be inconsistent along the ruler.

I've just found grandfather-in-law's 24" steel rule. It's not stainless, so quite darkened (probably "Winfield" or similar from around 1905), but it matches the old Draper exactly on both metric and inch scales. The old Draper says prominently "Made in Japan"; the new one doesn't.

Sadly I've had the "new" one for too long to return it, but I won't bother with any measuring kit from Draper again. It wasn't cheap.

The markings I can't read and find annoying are the half mm increments and to have them all the way along one side is a real inconvenience. I would like a rule with just full millimetres and if I need a 0.5mm I can judge that OK.

John

I've got the axi precision 150mm too and I have to say I can see it perfectly clearly with no issues so maybe it's an issue with the lighting in your workshop? Also got the axi ruler stop that fits fine...

Woodmonkey":py5znj99 said:
I've got the axi precision 150mm too and I have to say I can see it perfectly clearly with no issues so maybe it's an issue with the lighting in your workshop? Also got the axi ruler stop that fits fine...

I don't think so, it's a single garage with 3x 5ft 40w LED battons.

Latest posts

Back