axminster M950 lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased the above lathe back at the beginning of December 09 and spent a week in the workshop setting it up in position for work this coming Spring. Gave it a test run, to check out motor running etc.

Looking at its manual it states speeds upto 2450 in steps which are obtained by moving a lever when running.

I have still got a lot of pen turning blanks and tubes, will this turning speed be adequate?

Yes I turn pens on my M950

Theres not much it wont do, the size of the motor means you have to be careful with big bowls and the like, and take fine cuts or you will over power the motor and stop it.

Small things like pens bobbins etc are best done at as high a sped as you have. Dedicated pen turning lathes run at 3000, 3200 perhaps more on some.

Pete

I popped into the workshop (brrrrrrrrrrr.) and gave the lathe a spin first time since December, popped in the pen mandrel and wound up the motor, seems quite fast and steady.
Looking at the electric plate on the motor it states rpm as 1450, but I suppose gearing takes it up to the 2450?

devonwoody":h9jbtvdj said:
I popped into the workshop (brrrrrrrrrrr.) and gave the lathe a spin first time since December, popped in the pen mandrel and wound up the motor, seems quite fast and steady.
Looking at the electric plate on the motor it states rpm as 1450, but I suppose gearing takes it up to the 2450?
Quite right - the 1450 is the spindle speed of a four pole motor. The gearing does the rest
Brian

Thanks all, cant wait to get through the next 28 days and get the workshop warm and dryish again.
Remember I have got a corrugated asbestos roof that rains when the weather goes frosty.

two points to note about these lathes ( I had an 900 until i upgraded last year - my 900 is now with olly)

a) the motor is in a stupid place so picks up a lot of dust and cack so you need to suck it through with a vaccuum/ dE at the end of each session

b) the variable speed is by means of a reeves drive - which is why you cabn only move the handle while the lathe is turning - this can also get fouled with dust etc but i found a monthly blow off wirth an airline kep that in order

Thanks for tips, I hope to remember to leave the lever alone and only move when spindle is turning, the indent pin on the lever is a little slow in releasing so I suppose I should flood with ub40?

devonwoody":1hhidwgc said:
Thanks for tips, I hope to remember to leave the lever alone and only move when spindle is turning, the indent pin on the lever is a little slow in releasing so I suppose I should flood with ub40?

you physically cant move it with the lathe stationary so that ought to act as an aide memoir - with regard to the indent pin wd40 evaporates while grease will atract dust and rubbish so i'd be inclined to leave it alone if its only a little slow

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I've just got a 2nd hand m950. Didn't come with a manual. How do you get the drive center out to put on a face plate or chuck?

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I've just got a 2nd hand m950. Didn't come with a manual. How do you get the drive center out to put on a face plate or chuck?
I used to have an m900. Think it is the same though. Put a bar through the hollow spindle and hit it with something to knock it out. If it has been left a while you may need some wd40 or a really good whack.

FYI: Morse tapers should be clean & dry. They should remove easily with a light tap from a knock out bar.

The optimum speed for pen turning is around 6000-10000rpm but I haven't seen any woodturning lathes that do that! I used to have one that went up to 5000 but I got rid of it a long time ago.

3000rpm will allow you to turn a pen reasonably quickly, any less and you will just need to take more time to cut the wood.

The optimum speed for pen turning is around 6000-10000rpm but I haven't seen any woodturning lathes that do that! I used to have one that went up to 5000 but I got rid of it a long time ago.

3000rpm will allow you to turn a pen reasonably quickly, any less and you will just need to take more time to cut the wood.
The little Unimat lathes do those sort of speeds, don't know of anyone that uses one for this though.

Back