Axminster bandsaw electrical fault

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crt

Reaction score
I've picked up a nine year old Axminster 3/4 HP bandsaw (blue one, with 96" blade) from ebay which worked well for a few weeks but is now dead electrically. I don't recall doing anything the last time I used it which would have burnt the motor out (unlike my old table saw - another story). It worked, and now it doesn't. I don't have the model number to hand.

The plug fuse is fine. There is no visible safety cut out switch that can be reset, either on the motor or elsewhere. The on/off switch is the standard green/red button configuration with no clever DOL starter apparent.

Anyone have any ideas what might be up before I start pulling wires out to check circuits etc?

Thanks.

On my record saw there are micro switches on each door to cut power if opened could be some thing in this area.

Thanks. There is at least one micro switch (on the bottom door). One of the tasks I want to avoid is dismantling such switches.

Have you not contacted Axminster about this? It is their machine, they should be able to help you out - they've helped me plenty of times! :wink:

I have been in PM contact with someone from Axminster and they are being very helpful - reason I didn't start with them is that it is an old machine I bought secondhand, but it is gratifying that they watch this site and are active in helping out.

If you had burnt the motor out CRT there would have been a nasty smell, once smelt never forgotten.
Is there a 'click' when you push the start button?

Roy.

No click from the switch. My discussions with Axminster suggest the switch may be u/s.

Thanks for reminding me about the smell of a burnt out motor - I still have the acrid memories from the time I did for my table saw.

Not necessarily CRT, if any of the door switches are not 'made' then there will be no 'click.'
Easy route is to by-pass those switches and try again.

Roy.

Thanks, that's helpful. I will double-check all the door switches: there's been quite a build up of saw dust so that might be fouling them in some way.

Back