Ax - FINAL ARRANGEMENTS, NAME BADGES

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rob for setting up a Perfect Day.
I can now begin to understand how I can order small products in the late afternoon and have them on my doorstep the next day.

It is difficult to find anything to say about the day that has not already been said.
The way Axminster organised the day epitomises their whole customer focussed philosophy.
The enthusiasm of the staff shone through with everyone we talked to. It was very encouraging to see their drive to bring back manufacturing into the the UK and all the investment the company is feeding back into everything they do.

It was good to put some more forum names to faces.
A suggestion for next time would be to include screen names on the badges.

I did not go with a shopping list and did not buy anything so that went to plan!
The gift was a very nice and unexpected touch - I just need to find out how to plug it in :lol:

Thanks to everyone at Axi and to Rob for pulling it all together.
Finally a Special Thank You to Liam S for driving me for a significant part of the journey.

Bob

Just to confirm everything thats already been said - it was an excellent day and great to be able to meet everyone face to face.

Axminster had laid on a cracking day and the best bit was the look on my lads face this morning when I gave him the little Veritas router plane they gave us as we left.He is one happy fella!

Thanks to all at Axminster and if you will all join me in three cheers for Rob for organising it - Hip Hip

Nice on Rob =D> =D>

Well after some sleep I have finally got to a PC.

What I can say is that I can see why the company is so good. The managing director knew quite a lot of the staff by name (the ones thats not his family even) and seemed to know about every aspect of his business even though a lot of the work will have been delegated, designed and operated by other staff. The fact that some of the staff job descriptions orientated is brilliant. Shows a great understanding of unemployment rates and how to combat them. Ian defiantly has the minerals for business and knowing what his customers want & need.

All the other stuff said also goes. I didn't get to speak to many of you, and second bobs comment of the user names also being on the name badge. I struggled to figure out who is who so wasn't to sure what to say or talk about with many and fatigue played a part.

Thank you to Simon who swapped placed with me or thereaperman. We have have been close friends for 10 years and with him working for me and sharing the same interests we hoped to share the experience together. He is coming around again tonight for some food and unfriendly banter :D

Im sorry I didn't get to thank woodbloke in person for this, I struggled to figure out which one you was but ill say thank you now and thank you to Ian and the axminster staff for the chance and the gift.

Not sure if ill come next year. 8 hours on the road is a lot to see the same thing if indeed it is the same thing. This experience even promoted a comment from the reaperman (Alan Garner) which was that he needs to enter the turning comp. We will see what happens.

I only spent £30 myself, just got a few things that I needed to re-stock up on and them lazy susan bearings as I haven't yet had change to prototype my idea. However getting to play with the jap tools I now know the chisels are not for me and the flush cutting saw I was going to buy isn't for me but the other darker handed one is and the rasps are also.

I've got to echo what's been said already: Thanks to Ian and his team for their hospitality, generosity and enthusiasm; and thanks to Rob for organising this day out. I was particularly inspired by Ian's commitment to developing in-house manufacturing. Shame I don't own a lathe!

I enjoyed watching Tim's steam bending demo, and am edging closer to enrolling on that chair making course ......

What a fantastic day it was!

My only regret is that I didn't get to chat with more of you.

I managed to come home with a new toy, and was really chuffed with the gift from Axminster.

Les

Right chaps, been nattering to Ian this morning and it looks like there'll probably be another event of a similar description next year. Nothing set in concrete, but after the success of yesterday, which was enjoyed by all who took part (including all those at Axminster) it looks like something could be on the cards :wink: - Rob

Reading all these happy posts makes me regret even more that I had work commitments on Friday and could not have taken the day off. It sounds like it was a great day, and speaks volumes about the true value of this forum, that people like Rob don't only take the time to help others with advice, but will go the extra mile and organise an event like this.

If there is a repeat performance, I will be certainly be putting my name on the list.

Having deserved an award for 'the carrier bag with the least interesting contents' at the end of the day yesterday I have at least just finished using them - joining splices for the pipes of my dust extractioin system :)

Belatedly I'd like to add my thanks to everyone who made yesterday such a memorable day, not only the staff at Aminster but also everyone who I had a chat with, not least to Paul who volunteered to drive a bunch of what at the start of the day were strangers down to Devon.

Having worked for short spells in various industries in the past (most of my working life has been in education) I found the attitude at Axminster a total contrast to the shoulder shrugging and 'can't do that mate' approach I've experienced in the past. They deserve their success.

Tony Comber

I would like to add my huge thanks to Rob for organising this and to Ian and his colleagues for their huge generosity in looking after us so well.

In these times of hardship it was particularly pleasing to see a British company that is doing well, bringing jobs back to the UK through their manufacturing (better quality and cheaper), and bringing so many services "in house" to maintain quality standards. It is something that other companies could learn from.

As said by so many THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

Steve Maskery":2qax8jqy said:
Just got home. Excellent trip, thank you to all.
S

Bloomin eck Steve, I had 290 miles after dropping Chris (Adidat) off and got home at 10pm - were you on yer pushy?

Hello shipmates,

What a superb day Friday was, great to meet and catch up with so many forum friends.

The lovely Hayley looked after me, John, charlie and Franco very well in the morning session, when we enjoyed an excellent guided tour of the very professional behind the scenes set-up. The warehouse and stock control systems were very impressive. I will think of all the things I saw everytime I make an order from now on.

In the afternoon I enjoyed messing around in the skill centre with Paul, Les and Martin from Brimarc. Steam bending the ash for the chair was a particular highlight. I think that chair making course with Tim would be really good fun and very rewarding.

Thanks Rob for organising this event. Thanks also to Ian and his family and colleagues for making the day so enjoyable and for the very kind gift.

Cheers, Tony.

Having seen their Picking & Packing process last week I put it to the test.
I needed do some spare abrasive belts for the Proxxon Belt Sander I bought from the BinEnd Shop (at less than half price!).
Placed an order yesterday afternoon - delivered at 11:00 this morning!
What a tremendous service? :)

Rod

Harbo":q3dvd99r said:
Placed an order yesterday afternoon - delivered at 11:00 this morning!
What a tremendous service? :)

Rod
Thirteen minutes :shock: after you hit 'Submit' (plus a small delay, but it's not long) your stuff is being loaded onto the back of a wagon! - Rob

A bit late, but just back in email contact after a long weekend in Kent directly from the day in Axminster. Many thanks to everyone who helped organise the day and made it run so incredibly smoothly. Great to put some faces to names and had a great time chatting about making stuff.

Ian

Martin Brown":3r0eoud3 said:
Just to say thanks to Veritas for the gift for you all, which they donated.

A very generous and warmly received offer.

I've tried out mine. Works really well - a cracking little tool and very generous of Veritas :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back