Average hands on hours a week?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Water-Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
As a slight spin off from the project time thread, in a average week how many hours would you say you spent actually working in the shop?
Including all of the sharpening and tidying but excluding the day dreaming.

I suspect i'll be in excess of 25 hours which is embarrassing given how little i turn out
:oops:

45 hours per week. Then if you include the paperwork, seeing customers etc it'll be close to 65 I think.

I've seen 45 new potential customers in the last 4 weeks so times are busy.

Don't know but when i do go out there time goes at double the speed it does when I'm at work!!!

MrYorke":3jl5tj85 said:
45 hours per week. Then if you include the paperwork, seeing customers etc it'll be close to 65 I think.

what do you do mryorke?

Mr Yorke.... business sounds good however I'd question your elimination process on customers.
45 potential customer visits in a month, must average an hour each if not more with travelling, jeepers thats like a quarter of your time on enquiries.

At some point you must whittle the customers down otherwise that's even more time doing quotes, drawing etc, why not try and get rid of the chaff earlier?

I say this as even if all 45 are great and ask you to make the project I suspect you can't physically do it due to time restraints, so why not do the chopping earlier.

MrYorke":3a78k5gr said:
nathandavies":3a78k5gr said:
MrYorke":3a78k5gr said:

what do you do mryorke?

If you have facebook head along to here >>>>

http://www.facebook.com/mywooddesigns
Just looked at your FB page nice work .As for me and time in the shop can vary quite a bit from one week to the next.Some weeks it could be as much as 80 hours and then others if working in a clients home could be as little as 6 hours .I like the challenge of different jobs and will take on almost anything if i fancy doing it .It can get a bit boring doing the same job all the time :roll:
Cheers Bern.

Yeah I'm with you there, I probably end up doing a lot more hours but my business is only 4 years old.....& I am only just starting to learn to say no to customers. But that's getting easier as I'm booked up for 3 months. I've even had a previous customer call me about a big bookshelf....."I've heard you're really busy mike, can you book us in for January at your earliest date"

I've got 1 lad working for me and another about to start. It's all going well so far and the absolute hard work is paying off. I love my work, my job and my business.....I'm very lucky to say that. My wife is very supportive and helps drive my business in the right way. I even finishedy first bespoke kitchen a few weeks ago and have another order already.

Sorry, didn't want to go off in another direction from the original post.

As it's only essentially a hobby for me very little. Plus I work nights, six on & three off, so I can't really plan too far ahead.

Most recently though I've spent less time doing proper carpentry, the majority of my projects and commissions have been more practical than pretty (animal shelters, hutches, etc.) hence my having used around £2000 worth of OSB 3 this year and around ten miles of mesh :shock: and absolutely no hardwood :cry:

Latest posts

Back