Avast anti virus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought the pro version 2 months ago. My computer went slower and slower. I had a glitch with something on the anti virus, they were very helpful and quick to advise uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. I found that after I had uninstalled it my computer was lightening fast. I decided to ask them for advice before I reinstall, they said that this was sometimes the case and they couldn't advise. I asked for a refund and after quick and constant contact during the initial problem, they now choose to completely ignore me.

I think whatever anti virus system you use it will slow down the computer. I am using the free version of Avast and it does slow everything down especially my internet connection. I have used a variety of anti virus progs and they all have their little niggles. :roll:

In fact most professionals I know (I was in computing prior to retirement) use Linux.

I use microsoft security essentials.

Ive tried kaspersky, norton, mcafee over the years -the frustration is that whilst one version maybe fine, often a later version has become bloatware and slows everything down.

Of course Mac and Linux users will be gloating as viruses are aimed largely at the microsoft platforms :D

Random Orbital Bob":1acr6ylb said:
McAfee is what the professionals use
No they don't

I may be wrong, but I reckon Sophos will still be the corporate market leader

+1 for Security Essentials btw, up to 10 pcs allowed as well

I use avg free and im running microsoft security essentials do i need both ?

Thanks for the input guys. I've found their UK help phone number so might give that a go tomorrow.

I've had similar probs with AVG, Kaspersky, Norton and McAffee over the years, why I thought Avast would be any different I don't know. They all seem good at first.

Graham

Ring":hb3ccau1 said:
I use avg free and im running microsoft security essentials do i need both ?

No only one, unless your computer is running to fast for you :wink: :D

Pete

Well I look after several thousand machines so I guess I'm a professional. We use Kaspersky. Nothing is perfect but I won't touch Norton or McAffee. AVG is ok for home use. Microsoft security is a lot better than it used to be. To be honest most home users download loads of junk programmes and that's where issues come from. Also you need to be smart with the security options you set. Most programmes will want to scan a lot of data and obviously this takes time. Just imagine going through Gatwick if nobody had to go through security and no bags were X rayed. It would make the process much much quicker. It's basically the same sort of thing. Uninstall any security programme and your PC will run quicker, but I for one don't mind queuing at security at Gatwick if it means my flight isn't hijacked or blown up. It's the same with my PC.

DiscoStu":3ws23pl1 said:
Well I look after several thousand machines so I guess I'm a professional. We use Kaspersky. Nothing is perfect but I won't touch Norton or McAffee. AVG is ok for home use. Microsoft security is a lot better than it used to be. To be honest most home users download loads of junk programmes and that's where issues come from. Also you need to be smart with the security options you set. Most programmes will want to scan a lot of data and obviously this takes time. Just imagine going through Gatwick if nobody had to go through security and no bags were X rayed. It would make the process much much quicker. It's basically the same sort of thing. Uninstall any security programme and your PC will run quicker, but I for one don't mind queuing at security at Gatwick if it means my flight isn't hijacked or blown up. It's the same with my PC.

Fair comment, but I've ended up stood at the arrivals door for 3 days......not practical!

I realise it's a conflict or something that needs adjusting, but the software is too complicated for the average punter to deal with.

I'm not familiar with Avast, so I can't comment on its performance, but I'd suggest that maybe you've been stuck at arrivals for three days is because you're at the highest state of security threat and you've effectively locked down the airport. I agree that it not straightforward and it needs tweaking. To be fair as with all this sort of stuff it's about risk. If you get loads of emails from friends who forward all sorts of stuff they get with links etc and you download lots of free software etc. then your risk of getting a virus is much greater than those who just have a few commercial programmes on their machines and work in a more business like manor.

I would strongly suggest using Microsoft System restore so that you can roll back your PC to a previous state, that solves a lot of issues for home users. Also backing up your documents and valuable data. I'd suggest an online solution. One good option would be to move all of your data into the cloud and store everything in dropbox or similar, this has the advantage of syncing your machine onto more than one device and they worry about the backup for you.

We also use a pre filter on all of our email, so we don't scan any email on machines as it is all done before the mail even hits our mail server, we bin around 70% of the email that is sent to us (company wide) so it shows how much unsolicited email is out there. I'm sure a lot of email host will offer spam and virus filtering.

I'd also suggest using something like CC cleaner (free) to give your PC a clean up, this will pick up malware as well.

I know this is slightly of topic, but since We switched our windows lap tops to an iPads we have had no problems at all and have no security software installed. It was like walking out of the fog into sunshine. We have been using windows for years and changing laptops every couple of years due to the them getting slower and slower and annoying the heck out of me. I know Apple are more expensive but having had them for just over a year, we are very pleased with them. They seem to be just as responsive as they where when we bought them.
There are, of course limitations with ipads, but most of them cand be worked around.

I seem to rember that it was somebody on this forum that recomended them :D

"we have had no problems at all and have no security software installed"

No problems that you are aware of.

I'm a big fan of iPads, in many respects as Apple control the environment. You're very unlikely to find any issues as Apple control the app store and by that I mean you have to register as a developer and this takes around 6 months to complete (I know I had to do it) and then you submit your apps for approval to the store. Apple then check them out and either allow them on or not.

Now this is great for security and its why apple do it, but it does have limitations. I used to use some software that would do a wireless survey of an area. It would show what access points were around, what channels were being used etc. etc. it was a great tool to help with planning wireless installs. However Apple decided that this could be used maliciously and removed it from the app store. Now there is no apple app that can perform that sort of function.

So pros and cons.

Also apple apps don't like to play with each other as easily as programmes do on a PC. Things like printing can also be an issue as printers have to be apple compatible. That said Apple is big enough that it drives the market and manufacturers will make things apple compatible so that they don't miss out on the market.

All a long way from 1992 when I got my first Mac and Apple was constantly under threat of closure!

Latest posts

Back