australian Shiraz red wine vine/pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonrms

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a few bits of austrialian shiraz red wine vine in from Oz that were cut for pen blanks...

So I decided to give it a bash on a 24k gold plate slimline pen...

nothing fancy... sanded down to 1000 grit and then covered with wax coating and rubbed on the lathe..

anyway still working on the best pic quality.. but here you go.. enjoy.
dscf6727ausshirazredvin.jpg

By null at 2011-01-14

dscf6726ausshirazredvin.jpg

By null at 2011-01-14

ausshirazredvine.jpg

By null at 2011-01-14

Hi i have just got in to pen making myself and am amazed at what can be used to make them.
Your Shiraz pens look very nice. :D

Geoff. :D

It looks very nice indeed, but out of interest, how many hours would it take from vine to finished pen?

I would say 2 for that pen. That is working hours.. not waiting around hours...

you have to cut it to size, drill it, glue in the barrels, leave to stand. trim off the excess and wood to the barrels. put on the lathe, work to shape. sand sand and sand... this was down to 1000 grit paper. Then you can apply things like friction polish, burnishing cream.. I opted to go natural and just put wax on to seal this one... and then rubbed it in whilst on the lathe,

You then remove.. start your assemble very carefully.. issues like the wood splitting if there are any imprefections not seen or known are common. and when finished.. photograph it.. and put it in a presentation case... which I have done.. will sell this one later in the year for maybe £8.50-9.00 but no more because to me I cant justify the cost of this one... Other pens I make I will charge accordenly... ie watch this space for my 50cal bmg pen.
I am making a few of these up... and the first will be out of Deer antler...

Latest posts

Back