Auction of Stanley Bailey no.4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhr

Established Member
Reaction score
A local auction house has "A Stanley No4 smoothing plane marked US patent APR-19-10.
Is this something worthwhile, how old is it likely to be? I haven't seen it yet, viewing is on Monday so I would be grateful for any information.

Many thanks
Brian

You can pick these up for approx £25 - £30 on ebay, so don't pay more. Check out the guide and make sure its in good or at least re-storable condition

Cheers, Mark

At risk of stating the obvious, the no 4 is probably the commonest plane that Stanley made. Back in the time of this example, a woodworker would probably have used a wooden jack and jointer, but the no 4 was a popular choice as a smoother and was probably many people's only metal plane.

Later on it became the 'entry level' model for amateurs who wanted to buy a plane but didn't want to spend much.

It's likely to be a US made plane from between the wars. If it has a sweetheart iron then ithey are normally good planes.

Check out this site for pictures that might help date the plane:

http://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/planes ... typing.htm
I was thinking of going to the auction myself but apart from this plane there doesn't seem to be much else that warrants a trip. Good Luck if you go.

Latest posts

Back