Ash / walnut coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Established Member
Reaction score
Did this in evenings this week - sorry for the lack of WIP...
The legs are walnut, shaped with a bearing-guided router cutter.
The ash top is just 2 planks dominoed together. This was then cut into an oval, drawn using the string / nail technique, roughly bandsawn then finished with a bench-clamped belt sander
The legs protrude through top through holes which were a bit fiddly to cut. I used forster bits, then a series of chisels and goiges to cut the curved, sloping inside edges of the holes in the top
2mm ebony strips were then glued / edge-clamped / sellotaped around the edge of the ash table top
The smaller oval below the main table top is actually 10mm oak - again dominoed together, cut to an oval, sanded and card-scraped, before being ebonized using the vinegar/wire wool trick mentioned in several threads here - it worked a treat although was very blue before being sanded down gently.
Finish is, as before, sanding sealer, hardwaxoil and wax polish
Thanks for looking
4508455968_b2d8c0d1d7.jpg

4507820507_30697336b5.jpg

4507821917_d41cd99590.jpg

4508458610_00552f41a7.jpg

4507817795_c77027a889.jpg

Evenings only eh! Very nice. I particularly like the weird, but kind of beautiful, tenons. They make a change. In my hands they would have been square-ish.

Well done.

xy

What's your secret gasman? Do you have some sort of secret energy and motivation potion? :lol: Well done. You're a natural at this malarky!

Thanks for your kind words all or you...
Actually I was astonished that the ebonizing process was so easy and so successful - it really does look like ebony - it matches the actual ebony on the outside of the table top very well and was so quick to do - I got the trick from searching on this so-very-helpful forum

Wow! Regardless of how long it took that looks fabulous. Just the sort of item you see on one of those snazzy bespoke furniture websites with a huge price tag.

Very nice and an unusual design. I do like it. Those tennons really set it off as does the choice of wood. Lovely job Gasman. :wink:

Matt_S":34h8qan5 said:
Evenings? :shock: Very impressive 8)

If you can make something like that from scratch in a week of evenings you should pack in the day job and do cabinet making full time.

I'm a pro maker and without a doubt would find it impossible to do it in that time.

Whatever time it took, it's a nice distinctive piece, well done!

Very nicely done gasman.

If only I'd put my evenings last week to equally good use..

Ed

Very nice, unusual design.

Could you explain a little more the ebonizing technique, please. I'm not familiar with it and would like to try some ebonizing some time.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks again for all your kind words
Paul - I thicknessed some oak to 11mm, then joined 2 boards then cut the oval out using the string / pins method - cut round with a bandsaw then finshed with a belt sander.
Then I went over it very carefully through all the grades, finishing with a card scraper.
Then I got some vonegar and put a piece of wire wool in it for a few days (I did this last weekend actually). By thursday i tried it out and got spectaculr results - putting it on with a cotton wool swab made the oak go instantly black. I made sure it was quite wet all over then left it overnight.
The following day it was a dark blue-black colour all over.... so I rubbed it down again with sandpaper though the grades - which made the oak show through in places.
Next day I did it again and this time only needed to sand down a bit after so it was now all blue-black. I was worried it would stay blue but when I sealed it with sanding sealer it went completely black - and it really does match the ebony on the rim of the top
Hope that helps
Mark

Absolutely love it.
The shape and different methods of construction and finishing make it a really interesting piece.

Stephen

Yep, I concur with all the other remarks, this is an interesting piece and the results are excellent. Food for thought... Well done Mark!

Love the shape of the top and the lower shelf. Legs looks very interesting too. Guess you wouldn't have done it as quickly without that Domino! :D :wink:

Latest posts

Back