Ash bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevorturn

Established Member
Reaction score
My first Large bowl (14") turned on my record CL4
made from an ash blank purchased from the Bramley wood fair last year
not polished yet just coated in sanding sealer

Attachments

• IMG_0887.JPG
    IMG_0887.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 1,345
  • IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    230.2 KB · Views: 1,345
I found to be the hardest part of turning a large bowl was getting the form right without any lumpy bits to sand off

Congrats on the surface finish, free of any significant blemish as far as I can see.

Trevorturn":l7gjobdj said:
I found to be the hardest part of turning a large bowl was getting the form right without any lumpy bits to sand off

On gentle curves like that if you can get someone to demonstrate shear scraping with a very sharp edge on your bowl gouge it will help. ( a good process for addressing torn fibres as well)

It's a technique that requires gentle stroking of the tool across the surface and overcomes any bounce problems from differing hardness areas you can get with bevel cutting, it does need care to avoid the gouge twisting and catching if too robust a pressure is applied.
shear.jpg

Attachments

• shear.jpg
    shear.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,285
very nice, but I'm sure that's not ash - not open grain. Beech I think from the grain in the light strip, although there's a general lack of beech like flecks in the rest of it so could also be sycamore, which sometimes has similar figuring to the light band

duncanh":16920k3q said:
but I'm sure that's not ash .....so could also be sycamore
I'm glad you said that, I was thinking something similar.
The lower photo shows a figuring reminiscent of Lacewood (London Plane) in the zone at the top. So I'd guess something from the Acer family.

duncanh":39xtoxl0 said:
very nice, but I'm sure that's not ash - not open grain. Beech I think from the grain in the light strip, although there's a general lack of beech like flecks in the rest of it so could also be sycamore, which sometimes has similar figuring to the light band

Looks like horse chestnut to me :)

Nice job on the finishing Trevor - I'm looking forward to turning my first large bowl on MY new CL4 one day too!

:D

Nice bowl and finish, looking closely at the grain, in particular the arrangement of the medullary rays and in particular the nature of the overall colours especially the slight green colour of the thin dividing line between the dark and light wood are all fully characteristic of Sycamore

To me it looks like a Sycamore or one of the various hybrids like London Plane.
Several trees around here self set readily several hundred metres away from the parent trees (some now removed due to size) and leaf form seems to differ slightly when they are spotted in a hedge or the back of a flower border, I'm never sure exactly what they are.

Nice piece of wood, nice turning. That graphic of shear scraping scares the bejeesus out of me though!

Thanks for all the positive feedback gents

Though i wont be trying the shear scraping any time soon
Too new to this game

Hai Trevorturn,
Thats a nice looking bowl,the timber looks pretty similar to some platters that I have turned from weathered sycamore.You can see one of the platters on Janettes facebook page,see the link below.

peter.

Back