Arrrhhh ! blade broke.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony G

Reaction score
Well I had a blade break on me for the first time and I must say that it scared the bejesus out of me ! I've read and watched people on YouTube say that it needs to be tensioned until it sound like a "C" note. Someone else said that it needs to have about 1/8" movement from side to side which is what I was doing.

Anyway, I decided to download and install a free piano tuning app on my android smart phone so now I have my blade tensioned to an exact "C" note ! :D

And I now know what to expect if and when it happens again.

Tony G":1da0yc59 said:
Anyway, I decided to download and install a free piano tuning app on my android smart phone so now I have my blade tensioned to an exact "C" note ! :D
That's an appallingly frivolous use of a truly staggering piece of technology.

Well done. :lol:

BugBear

While I won't try to suggest that blade tension isn't important, you can get it as perfect as you like and you will still break blades, lots of em!

I'm afraid breaking blades is just a part of scroll sawing.

But of course it still makes you jump every time one does break.

Phill

Nothing you can do will stop you breaking blades from time to time, especially with the thinner blades, in fact I am amazed that they don't break more often considering how delicate they are.

I don't think you ever get used to the massive 'shock' you get when a blade does break, I have been breaking blades for 50+ years and I still almost have a hear attack each time.

I now use my mp3 player with my ear defenders on when i am actually using the scrollsaw and cannot hear the saw go BANG! it used to scare the life out of me lol.
I only use the Pegas number 3s and 5s to cut thick Oak so manage to snap plenty if i try rushing a job, its still one of the safest saws to use compared to bandsaws and table saws........ never heard of Texas Scroll Saw Massacre lol

Claymore":tm7fj3y9 said:
its still one of the safest saws to use compared to bandsaws and table saws........ never heard of Texas Scroll Saw Massacre lol

Indeed, I let both my 9 yr old and 12 year old grandsons use my Hegner but would not let them near other saws. :)

2 points.
1. Texas scrollsaw massacre. tag line, you are right to fret about it.
2. C, but in which octave?

Texas scrollsaw massacre.... not quite sure how that would work ? maybe cut some script text into the jugular vein !!

A middle "C" I do believe.

You will discover that after about 200 broken blades it eases up to about 2 a year if you are lucky, even then it scares the bejasus out of you!

Tony G":1qh230q1 said:
Texas scrollsaw massacre.... not quite sure how that would work ? maybe cut some script text into the jugular vein !!

A middle "C" I do believe.
:lol:

It`ll never work Tony......can`t imagine a psycho maniac trying to chase ya down the road waving a Hegner trying to slice you up for dinner, unless you can get a very long extension cable your fine after 30ft lol :D

Imagine the suspense, the scrollsaw maniac is just ready to go for the jugular and........

The blinking blade breaks.

The audience all jump out of their seats!

... and the maniac spends the rest of the film trying to find the blade clamp because he never bought a Delta. :-D

NazNomad":28khokhn said:
... and the maniac spends the rest of the film trying to find the blade clamp because he never bought a Delta. :-D

......... fortunately he had recently read a great tip on the scrollsaw forum of painting your blade clamps bright yellow so they stand out when dropped on the floor..........BUT.....unfortunately the scrollsaw maniac is sodding colourblind so everything looks Khaki :wink:

Oh, I see it all clearly now...

It wasn't just one scrollsaw maniac.

It's a gang. There's a whole band of scrollsaw maniacs coming together online to share tips and discuss thrill seeking from the random act of breaking saw blades and making kindling.

One minute there's the calm but concentrated act of carefully feeding the blade slowly around a pattern, then BANG that heart stopping moment a blade breaks! Oh the rush....

Back to the original poster.

C,mon Tony, man up you're in the scrollsaw massacre gang now, we laugh in the face of broken blades.

P.s. No offence intended to original poster :D

It's horrible when a blade breaks...

Especially if your wife is stood behind you with a cup of tea and chucks it all over you, as she did this afternoon! :roll: :lol:

Phill

linkshouse":jioq98y1 said:

Especially if your wife is stood behind you with a cup of tea and chucks it all over you, as she did this afternoon! :roll: :lol:

Phill

Blimey you are spoiled! I have to get my own tea. Or did you mean 'her' tea? :)

scrimper":1yh2692o said:
linkshouse":1yh2692o said:

Phill

Blimey you are spoiled! I have to get my own tea. Or did you mean 'her' tea? :)

Ha ha, yes it was my tea so I suppose at least I got it.

It really made her jump, she is a bit nervous and was very nearly in tears. She said remonstrated "What was that! I don't like when it does that!".

Mopping myself down I had to smile and agreed "No I'm not mad keen on it either!!!"

Phill

P.S. Worse still, I only got half a cup of tea :roll:

Back