Armouring internet cable under grave driveway

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duh! Just occurred to me that you could get some pressure treated wood, 4x2 and 2x6 or treated plywood and build a box around it with screws and construction adhesive. Radius both ends so there are no sharp edges. Make the U shape, put it in the trench and put the "lid" on it. Appropriate for woodworkers me thinks. 😉

Pete

Why a cable at all, WiFi connection works for my Garden office, even with flint walls?

Another possibility you could consider is 15mm Corrugated Conduit which you can get from Amazon and already has a split in it. (I used last year when SWMBO cut through the ethernet cable to the shed - green so it's not confused with water, gas, electricity) But I would be tempted to put it in something rigid.

I'm redoing the driveway with gravel grids/mats. It's already gravel, but it's a mess. I'll be hiring a wacker plate to compress the existing mess down into a firm base, then edging it with block paving, etc. but my question is about the fibre optic internet cable that runs about 6 inches below the existing surface. Do I need to armour it somehow, before wacking the surface? And what to use? I can't thread anything on to it, obviously, and so far can't think of anything that comes in U shaped sections that would be tough enough.

Any ideas?
Black Conduit Split Plastic Flexible Cable Tidy Solution Tube Trunking 10mm - 10m
https://amzn.eu/d/aE9dYCn

So I have fibre at home. It is single mode but that just means there is one strand as apposed to two.
There is a termination point somewhere that you can disconnect from a standard plug and thread the end through a length of pipe.
I would spend the time to open the box either just inside your house or on the outside of your house. The fibre run in my
Instance goes from the box outside to the cabinet about 1200mtrs away. But the end at my house has a blue plug I can unplug and re plug.
The ends don’t like dust so just tape a bit of something over the end when you thread it through.

Mine was installed by gigaclear in the exact same way. Just a 6” trench over gravel back filled. No sand! It’s been fine for years.

So I have fibre at home. It is single mode but that just means there is one strand as apposed to two.
Not quite, Single mode refers to the type of fibre, not that it is one fibre, fibre networks can be one or two fibres depending on the termination equipment you can have transmit and receive combined into one fibre or separate on two fibres.

I’ve Just had fibre installed and they fused all the joins all the way to unit that splits the signal to the router and phones. No way I could thread it through anything. The installer told me the way they find any fault is by shining a light along the fibre and where it glows is the break. I suppose if you had a problem under the drive they would just have to presume it was there and thread a new fibre along whatever you decide to protect it with. So making threading easy would seem important.

I'm redoing the driveway with gravel grids/mats. It's already gravel, but it's a mess. I'll be hiring a wacker plate to compress the existing mess down into a firm base, then edging it with block paving, etc. but my question is about the fibre optic internet cable that runs about 6 inches below the existing surface. Do I need to armour it somehow, before wacking the surface? And what to use? I can't thread anything on to it, obviously, and so far can't think of anything that comes in U shaped sections that would be tough enough.

Any ideas?
I assume the fibre optic cable is already inside a plastic tube laid first from the "box" to your home then the fibres blown through ? This is how our local fibre company do it.
So what you are wanting to do is offer protection to the plastic tube ? Why not consider plumbing insulation as use on CH pipes overlaid with a tile, OK its not armoured but the tubes for the fibres are tough and you need only protection from crushing with hardcore when using the whacker.

They can use visible red light to see a break or an OTDR optical time domain reflector which measures the time taken for the light to bounce back from a break and can be converted to an exact distance, which is done automatically in the tester

I don't see it as Chalk and cheese as they both do the same job, communicate between two points.

Who installed it without any protection and not in a duct as it should be ...................

Back