Arghh, Which Extractor????????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_g_ster

Established Member
Reaction score
All,

Been thinking over what extractor to get for my new workshop. From the history I have read through there is a host of info on what to get dating back some time.

Has anybody got any ideas of an extractor that will preserve my lungs and wallet as far as possible. I won't be doing any fancy plumbing in, just something cabable of dealing with HMS260ci and table saw and the usual accessories. I don't intend on using much by way of MDF but 0.5micron would be good. Sadly my other half isn't too good with the hoover or tea as so far that seems to be the best system anybody has found.

the_g_ster":uf6ymwsk said:
All,

Sadly my other half isn't too good with the hoover or tea as so far that seems to be the best system anybody has found.

If that's the case,don't you need a wet'n'dry vac to hoover up the tea ..? :lol:

Andrew (getting his coat,and sneaking out quietly..)

How about the small records RSDE1 or the mobile, slightly larger version RSDE2. I have the latter for my P/T, bandsaw and saw. Small enough to fit under the bench too.

Andy

Charwood are very good (had mine for years) and not expensive and they supply 1um bags

Had a look at the Record and seems like that is the most likely candidate, good too that goes down to 0.5micron as in light of some recent posts on here then everybody needs to be careful about what they inhale.

No Wet and Dry in my place, I am hoping to get a beer fridge on a spare socket in the workshop for a crafty Guiness. That said I am sure Guiness and table saws don't mix.

the RSDE2 offers a few more accessories over the RSDE1 which are preety handy ie: mobile base, power tool fittings and hose, plus spare filter bags.

Andy

Could anyone comment please on the relative merits of the "dusty bin" dust extractor concept vs the 2 bag extractors. There is a review of the "dusty bin" type extractors in one of the mags this month - can't remember which one as I read it at lunchtime in the WH Smiths magazine library.

A distinct advantage of the bin type would seem to be that they can be electrically plumbed in to the appliance so that it starts and stops on the machine's switch which must be more convenient. Would this cope with the amount of material thrown out by a p/t? The Record RSDE2 looks like being about £142.

The Charnwood can be had for £109.95 from many mail order places.

RogerM":1urdt5v2 said:
Could anyone comment please on the relative merits of the "dusty bin" dust extractor concept vs the 2 bag extractors. There is a review of the "dusty bin" type extractors in one of the mags this month - can't remember which one as I read it at lunchtime in the WH Smiths magazine library.

A distinct advantage of the bin type would seem to be that they can be electrically plumbed in to the appliance so that it starts and stops on the machine's switch which must be more convenient. Would this cope with the amount of material thrown out by a p/t? The Record RSDE2 looks like being about £142.

The Charnwood can be had for £109.95 from many mail order places.

Roger

They do a different job

the bag type have high volume low velocity suction and are really used to clear chips and a lot of dust etc. from large machines such as a table saw. they generally do not suck hard enough for hand held tools (and pipe is usually 4" and so not easily attached ot a hand held tool)

the dusty bin type are low volume high velocity suction and are intended to work with handheld power tools to remove saw dust rather than chips. They do no work as well with table saws etc due to the low volume of air they move

Thanks Tony. More or less decided on the Charnwood "jobbie " and keep my powder dry for a Scheppach 260 p/t!

Back