Are you going to upgrade to OSX Lion?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you going to upgrade to OSX Lion?

• Yes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Maybe later

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
It's released in a couple of days time. I've just checked my system and there are way too many programs that I use that will cease to work if I upgrade. All my Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel) ...all my Adobe Creative Suite products (Photoshop et al). Nothing imperative for me in the upgrade so guess I'll pass.

Sadly, some of us poor people still have G5s and 'old' Intel Minis so can't even use 10.6 :(

It seems a very good price for an upgrade too but as you say, as always, a reasonably major upgrade often means that regularly used programs won't work. Until I can sell my panel saw and see what change there is after the lathe purchase, it'll be sometime before a new Mac.

i clicked no, but i suppose like everything, I will do so eventually. No plans to do so for the foreseeable future though

I don't have any legacy software and our Macs are fairly recent so I'm in. Features like Autosave, versioning and Airdrop should make it well worth the modest purchase price - especially when you remember you can install it on any Mac you own/control :)

Logging onto the Apple support forum, it beggars belief the number of prats who are complaining that 'this doesn't work' or 'that doesn't work' when a little bit of research before they upgraded would have revealed that 'this' and 'that' were no longer supported.

RogerS":1k2phz3s said:
Logging onto the Apple support forum, it beggars belief the number of prats who are complaining that 'this doesn't work' or 'that doesn't work' when a little bit of research before they upgraded would have revealed that 'this' and 'that' were no longer supported.

:twisted: This is what happens when you let the proles use Macs. :evil:

bugbear":3pz9chpy said:
I think the survey needs a "I have something other than Apple" option.

BugBear
Why? Are you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: with envy.

Really it needs a "Yes" but not yet option.

I am still using 10.3.9 on one of my machines due to the SW it runs. 10.6.8 on the other two main machines and will probably be going to Lion once my main SW has been updated to be compatible, I hope before iOS 5 comes out.

Hi . Upgraded laptop and iMac no problems at all.
Love the gestures on the lappy will probably get a magic pad for the iMac and not bother with the mouse.
Take Care
Dave

Hi Steve,I do not know the details of your 'blowup" but on my last trip to the U.K I took my dead Macbook to the Apple store in the Bullring in Birmingham.After a couple of minutes the Genius pronounced the logic board dead,with the words bad news and good news .The bad news was the graphics chip on the board was dead and the cost was £600 , the good news was it would be repaired for free because the graphics chip manufacturer had reported a few duff chips of that era (nearly 4 years old ). Maybe you would qualify for some sort of assistance for the repair.

Take Care.

Thanks for that davcoll.
Alas on mine it was the power supply that went bang, in quite a spectacular fashion, took the whole house supply out with it. :lol:
As in your case, the cost of repair was too much to make repair viable so.... I ended up binning the lot as it wasn't possible to check if any other components were damaged without replacing the Power supply.
At least I have Ubuntu, not the same I know but close(ish), sort of. :D

RogerS":2xoh2fy6 said:

I thought Mac were meant to be "it just works" and no manual reading, version no. checking or similar geekiness required!!

BugBear

bugbear":zci2ry0q said:
RogerS":zci2ry0q said:

I thought Mac were meant to be "it just works" and no manual reading, version no. checking or similar geekiness required!!

BugBear
It usually does :D That is why there is so much wining.

However Apple is well known for dumping old stuff. And it may well be (probably is) ex Windows users who are used to Microsoft making stuff work forever who expect Apple to do the same.

In the last 15 years apple has gone from OS 9 on PowerPC, to OSX on PowerPC, to OSX om intel, to OSX on "ARM" and along the way old stuff has been dropped regularly.
In the same time frame Microsoft has gone from Win 98 on intel to Win 7 on intel dumping almost no stuff. So for Win users stuff that was working probably still does.

Hence the bitching when Apple does what Apple does.

sometimewoodworker":37tvqrzu said:
bugbear":37tvqrzu said:
I think the survey needs a "I have something other than Apple" option.

BugBear
Why? Are you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: with envy.

Really it needs a "Yes" but not yet option.

'Maybe later' usually resolves into a yes. So I think the 'Maybe Later' option would cover that! :mrgreen:
John

There should be always be an option for ...

"It's nothing to do with me but I just wanted to stick my oar in."

:p

Back