Apple wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sue came home today and said a guy she works with who lives on a farm had just chopped down 1/2 an old apple orchard and is the wood any use for my turning? Apple wood is, if I remember correctly, prone to splitting badly. My thoughts were to get as much as I can in long pieces and soak the ends with paint / wax etc. Anyone had much experience of apple wood? I have only had a few pieces and it was a lovely looking wood so if I can save some of it I'd like to.

pete

Hi Pete,

George (Cornucopia) is really your man for dealing with wet wood. From my experience, fruit woods are all a bit tricky to dry well. Your options are either to do as you say or to split the logs ang get rid of the heart and then seal. Really depends how big your logs are.

HTH

Richard

Thanks Richard. Most of the wood I use is wet (even more so now at the moment) and I generally do what I mentioned. Just that this amount of apple wood is well worth hanging onto if I can. I will wait and see if George gets back with any other ideas.

pete

Hi Pete,

As you both you and Richard mention it is a beggar for splitting. As suggested cutting to remove the pith and sealing is probably best. I got a chunk of a tree which is either Apple or some type of Cherry (cut in Winter so not sure :eek:) ). I did as mentioned above and gave all surfaces a liberal coating of wax sealer (the paint on type) and it seems to have dried well. I hope to try turning some soon.

I would be biting their hands off and getting as much as possible and trying a few different methods. You could also try rough turning a few bowls and sealing them too.

I’ve never heard of Apple being finish turned wet unless you are after mega distortion effects. It will be interesting to see if others have experience.

Cheers
David

hi Pete

in my experince apple is more forgiving than cherry- hopefully it will have been left in large lengths.
one things for sure at this time of year no wet wood will give you any bother till march/april time.
hopefully it will be from an old orchard and it will have some of that lovely colour they get with age!!
dont forget some pics :D

I would go with George on this one, keep it as long (length) as possible and stack it far away from the firewood pile, as always be patient and once end sealed leave it alone as long as possible, cut this time of year and the cool months ahead to weep resin and sap at its own pace should help.

Thanks people,
I am hoping to go and have a look at the end of the week. Apparently it is an old orchard on a farm and half has been cut down due to various reasons. With a biot of luck the trunks will be a reasonable size, as it was commersial they shouldn't be massive but we'll see. Worst scenario is we have a wood burner :lol:
Also had an email from someone in Devon who has a load of lime, welsh elm and holly stashed for me. Christmas is early this year. I was offered a walnut tree as well but it's too far away.

Pete

And I thought I was lucky with the few bits of wood I've been given!

I too have some apple waiting for the turning. I shall look forward to yur reports on how it goes. ...... the walnut tree isn't in yorkshire is it? :lol:

I don't know Mrs S. I have asked them to let me know as I may be able to get someone to 'clear it' for them. Just they said pity I didn't live closer. Cornwall is a bit far from most places

Pete

Bodrighy":301pj5hd said:
I don't know Mrs S. I have asked them to let me know as I may be able to get someone to 'clear it' for them. Just they said pity I didn't live closer. Cornwall is a bit far from most places

Pete

seems unlikely that it would be anywhere near here either :) I also have to sort the wood store before I'm allowed any more wood :)

Bodrighy":180hjikj said:

Pete

If its somewhere in the Midlands let me know - I have a large van and would happily collect it and help pass some around to fellow members....

Back