Aother Project from my Auction Purchased English Cherry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katellwood

Established Member
Reaction score
following on from the attached https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/my-f ... ight=foray

This is my latest project(s) from the load of English Cherry purchased from an auction

They are both for my daughters at the request of my wife (apparently after they all read "Little Women")

I have also included a small WIP showing part of the construction.

All the cherry is waney edge slabs approx 21/2" thick so required a great deal of resawing

DCP_2269.jpg

DCP_2271.jpg

DCP_2272.jpg

DCP_2273.jpg

DCP_2274.jpg

DCP_2276.jpg

DCP_2278.jpg

DCP_2280.jpg

DCP_2279.jpg

DCP_2255.jpg

DCP_2257.jpg

DCP_2258.jpg

DCP_2259.jpg

DCP_2260.jpg

DCP_2261.jpg

DCP_2262.jpg

DCP_2263.jpg

DCP_2265.jpg

DCP_2265.jpg

DCP_2267.jpg

DCP_2268.jpg

I shall be adding trays/internal boxes as soon as my girls decide what they want

A little bit of assistance would be valued re a suitable finish for the interior of the boxes, the outside has been oled with Danish Oil however I do not feel this is suitable for the insides

ANy constructive criticisms would also be welcome re my own improvement/development

Thanks for looking

Wow these are beautiful Chris. You've excelled yourself with all those handcut dovetails.

What about shellac for the inside?

wow. fantastic :)

I like the insides being unfinished - looks very traditional to me (the old trunks I have seen are generally unfinished inside). May not be to your taste though!

Agree, a superb job, especially with english cherry. I may not have worked with a huge number of woods but it's fair to say that EC was far and away the most difficult and frustrating - movement and tearout.

However, when it comes good it finishes very well, as you can see with your boxes. What chisels did you use to do the lettering?

Really impressive work. And some of the grain in that cherry - especially the close up of the lid is beautiful!

As for the insides, not sure if it would be suitable for you and the intended use but I have used Chestnut lemon oil in draws with success. Even after a couple of years still gives a lovely light fragrance when you open them.

That is very nice indeed. Don't envy you hand-cutting all those dovetails but, they look perfect as well! You've got some lovely cherry, there. It seems to be that, the thicker the cherry, the less dead knots there are? Whenever I've bought 1in boards, they've mostly been riddled with dead knots. :?

I was also going to suggest the lemon oil for the insides. Most other oils wouldn't smell as pleasant, once the lid has been closed for a while... It doesn't darken the wood too much, either. For best results, you're better off using a brand-new tin. I was recently using one that I bought two-years ago and the smell wasn't as strong as it was when I first opened it.

:)

Oh yes, really really fine craftsmanship, and wonderful wood. 8)

Samu

Wow that is lovely. Your daughters are very lucky to recieve those as gifts.

I have a massive stack of 3.5m lengths english cherry planks that i picked up for a song on ebay. The one plank i worked with was quite tricky to manage but the grain was lovely. How did you find the english cherry to machine etc. Did you lose alot to the sap etc.
Owen

Grand work Chris. And the cherry will only look better with age.

I wouldn't put any finish inside. Some finishes can go 'sour' unless they are open to air movement, and an unpleasant odour can be the result.

Cedar wood would be nice for the interior boxes, and you would also have that fresh, 'pencil' scent, which keeps away most insects.

Did you make the bottom of the chest removable, for easy cleaning purposes?

Nice work again.
John
:)

Latest posts

Back