Anyone here worn a Genurange knee brace?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all.
3 weeks ago I slipped and fell whilst out walking. Slightly downhill, wet grass, mud. Bang, one big guy with his left knee underneath the right side of his manly body. I've a sprained ligament, torn catilage and a small fracture.I've gone from middle-aged to elderly in 1 second :(

They are not planning to do anything about the fracture, it's a small piece of bone that has been pulled away. The fragment will get re-absorbed by my body and the bone regenerate like Dr Who. I may need an op for the cartilage, but not until the ligament has healed. The life of the knee has been shortened by 10 years, apparently, and residual pain and arthritis beckons, according to the orthopaedic surgeon. I have to walk with crutches and all in all it is a pain, in every sense of the word.

This week I've been fitted with a leg brace - two big wraps of vecro padding and a couple of metal hinges. It's quite a nice piece of engineering, except for one tinsy-winsy problem.

It doesn't work.

Well it works in the sense that, when in place, it does what it is supposed to do, i.e. keep my leg from twisting, but it doesn't stay in place. I've only got to hobble a few paces and I can feel it sliding down my leg so that the hinge is no longer in line with my knee. I've tried taking it off and re-fitting it, and it is better, but the problem is not cured.

The fundamental problem is that my leg is bigger at he top than at the bottom, so it slips down like a cup out of a coffee machine.

My mate Bob suggested I gaffer-tape it to my goolies but somehow that idea does not appeal.

Does anyone else have a less eye-watering solution?
S

Mine had 4 straps. It didn't slip but the straps were put on surprisingly tight (as instructed by the splint workshop), resulting in alarming "bottle legs" which apparently is harmless - you don't actually lose circulation etc etc.

Sorry to hear about your knee. My slip was similar but resulted in snapped quadriceps tendon. Ambulance rescue in the snow, operation next day NHS bloody brilliant. Brace for 10 weeks (progressively adjusted range of movement) crutches for a lot longer. Treated myself to a mobility scooter (£250 ebay) which I sold on later (£200 ebay) which was £50 well spent.
If it isn't working go back to the hosp. Red Cross are good for lending kit if you need anything. I gave my stuff away on Freecycle - the NHS didn't want it back - braces and crutches are disposable.

Hi, Steve

Sounds like fun, have you tried screws or lag bolts?

Seriously get well soon.

Pete

Good tips, Jacob, thanks.
When did you do it and are you back dancing the polka yet? How long before you were back to normal?
Walking and dancing are my two main social activities, so it's a bit of a bummer at the moment.
Actually it was out your way I came a cropper. Youlgreave. Fortunately I was with friends, who could scrape me up and drag me back to a farm track before getting a car. I dread to think how I'd have gone on if I had been alone. There was no mobile signal out there.
Pete - you're all heart. Is that lag bolts or leg bolts? Actually screwing the fragment back was one option, but it looks like it won't be necessary, thank goodness.
If you want to pick me up and take me out for a pint one evening...
S

Hi Steve.

I can't believe you have not made a jig !
Just watched your DVD's have to say that I really enjoyed them and learnt a lot.

Mick

Mickfb":z9fynqv1 said:
Hi Steve.
I can't believe you have not made a jig !
Mick
Well I certainly am not dancing one at the mo!

Mickfb":z9fynqv1 said:
Just watched your DVD's have to say that I really enjoyed them and learnt a lot.

Mick
Thank you, that is very heartening to hear.. Spread the word.
S

Steve Maskery":38l64iu8 said:
When did you do it and are you back dancing the polka yet? How long before you were back to normal?
April last year in that last bit of snow. Nearly back to normal but both legs weak and the bad one thinner than the other. Get tired easily but it is improving slowly. Back on the bike OK did 100km Audax no prob. Managed 7 mile waik (Eyam to Abney circuit) . Don't dance so that's OK.

HI Steve

It sounds like it hasnt been fitted properly and there is a strap missing.

The one I enjoyed :cry: had three straps to hold it in place, the first one was at the top of the brace with another at the bottom, these two stopped it from twisting so I was told.

The third strap was just below my knee on the slope of the muscle and it was this one that stopped it from slipping down, as I found out when I didnt do it up tight enough.

Hope that helps.

john

Possibly a daft idea but ...

A bandage (or a cotton wool pad) wrapped around your leg, below the brace, to increase the diameter of your leg just enough so it doesn't slip down?

I was thinking the same Nigel as I read the posts - can't be daft if we both thought of it? Also would one of those elasticised sports bandages hold everything together, if slipped over the top. I'd go back to the place where you got it and get them to check it out - if practical and possible only. What were the hinges made out of? I used to go to the well dressing in Youlgreave. Get better soon.

Gary

Hi Steve

As others have said, there is a strap missing as there should be three at least (depending on the make and materials it is made from), if that fails the you can go the route of a single sided suspender (and not that type :-k ). Basically it is a strap that goes around the waist and has two straps that fold around the top of the brace (velcroed) to help reduce that risk of it falling down, primative, but it works.

HTH

No straps missing, there are 4. I've had another play with it this morning. I'll see how I get on. But as I say, I'm going back today and shall ask then.
Ta all.
S

Are you sure a "Genurange Knee Brace" isn't something out of the Kama Sutra?

Hope you get well soon as you're missing some cracking walking weather.
The "lads" and I did a good loop around Longnor last Thursday - complete with sunburn and several pints in the Olde Cheshire Cheese Inn.
Snowdon planned for this Sunday but more likely to get windburn.

PS The DVDs are excellant and my new Record BS350S is set up a treat (with blades from Tuffsaws of course).

Glynne

I suspect you might have a conical leg! Or as my German physio delighted in telling me a "comical" leg. As a result any brace or in my case plaster cast just slips down and is useless.

Back