Anyone grown a lawn from seed??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkyblue

Established Member
Reaction score
5 years of collecting yorkstone and having them piled up in the back garden, together with various builder bags of sand and tons and tons of sandstone scattered around has left the lawn damaged and dead beyond repair. I've dug all the old stuff up this week, and just had 10 ton of cheap topsoil delivered today. Anyone got any recomendations for what variety of grass seed I should buy??. Would turf it, but theres 100 sq metres and it would be too expensive, so I'm going the seed route. I need something hardwearing because of kids and dog, so hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance

I've reseeded areas less than that but it tells you on the bags what they are suitable for.

Rod

If you’re looking for a lawn that’s durable for the kids and dog to play as opposed to a golf green, don’t buy seed, do a self-setting lawn.

Get the surface level then leave it and let the grass and the weed grow. Once it’s about 6 inches high or so, spray it with a selective weed killer and mow it down a week or so later.

Then keep it mowed to a couple of inched high until it established itself.

I have done this quite successfully on a couple of occasions.

For hard wearing lawns choose a mix with 30%-50% dwarf ryegrass.

I buy from these people as they show what seed is in their mixes

https://a1lawn.co.uk/index.php/am-pro-2 ... -seed.html

For playing football
https://a1lawn.co.uk/index.php/am-pro-2 ... -seed.html

There has been quite a development over the years in ryegrass and the latest tetraploid types create great hard wearing lawns

Its worth putting down some pre seed fertiliser as well.

When I did my lawn, the first time I did it the pigeons ate most of the seed. I ended up buying more seed and then covered the whoke area with fleece. It worked very well and the grass seed germinated quickly.

Dont buy really cheap grass seed from ebay, you may find it contains annual ryegrass.

I stripped and reseeded a 800 sq metre lawn, which had gone to moss and clover.
l.jpg

Took a summer. Didn't enjoy it. But turf would have been too expensive, and seed is available
in a wide range of mixes, whereas (to a large extent) turf-is-turf.

I used Barenbrug Bar-6 mix, from Collier Turf.

https://www.collier-turf-care.co.uk/Cat ... Grass-Seed

Most of the work is in stripping off the old lawn, and preparing a level soil of uniform density, which
you need to do for turf as well. Seeding is easy (but takes longer to give you a lawn than turf).

BugBear

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,204
Thanks everyone some great advice in there will check out all the links you've given me.

bugbear":g6adybyp said:
I stripped and reseeded a 800 sq metre lawn, which had gone to moss and clover.

That's your garden? And that view?

No, I'm not jealous.

B*****d. [-(

Back