Anyone got a spare arbor spanner for a Kity 419?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard D

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a second-hand Kity 419 from e-bay earlier this week. Not sure whether it was much of a bargain, given how long I've spent this afternoon getting various bits re-attached and squared up. There's n extraction hose (are they a standard item?) but I can bodge something together in due course. But the main disappointment is the lack of the arbor spanner - which is going to make changing blades pretty tricky.

Has anyone got a spare one, or know where I can buy one from?

I just use a medium adjustable on mine

btw with regard to the extraction hose - the axminster ones will fit (axminsters Ts200 is basically a clone on the 419) , but in the fullness of time you will probably wind up doing "the infamous dust extraction mod" which involves removing the dust collector and building a hopper underneath connected to a 4" hose

see toms thread or robert mps thread on fettling a ts200 for a step by step

If its the thin spanner to hold the arbor still then it would not be too hard to cut one from 1mm steel plate.

Retaining nut just needs a 13mm spanner

NMA may well sell you one
http://nmatools.co.uk/

Jason

jasonB":1vp1tmuy said:
If its the thin spanner to hold the arbor still then it would not be too hard to cut one from 1mm steel plate.

Jason

yeah good point - i was thinking of the 13mm nut when i said medium adjustable - i hold the arbour still by putting a pin through the hole on the blade.

jasonB":27bvqrtr said:
Just two small problems - no 1mm steel plate, and no tools to cut it. By the time I've dealt with those two matters, I could have bought ten spanners.

Those I have a couple of.

Already dropped a line to NMA. It's a bit of a nuisance as I'd got something I wanted to cut this weekend, but the wrong blade's in the saw and I can't change it :(

Thanks for the heads-up about he dust mod. That is indeed on my "to do" list.

big soft moose":teoz3dk7 said:
jasonB":teoz3dk7 said:

Jason

yeah good point - i was thinking of the 13mm nut when i said medium adjustable - i hold the arbour still by putting a pin through the hole on the blade.

I did give you the thin spanner for holding the arbor - I'd use it as the risk of chipping a tooth is high using other means (DAMHIKT)

Ed

Mr Ed":28gx7gnb said:
big soft moose":28gx7gnb said:
jasonB":28gx7gnb said:

Jason

I did give you the thin spanner for holding the arbor - I'd use it as the risk of chipping a tooth is high using other means (DAMHIKT)

Ed

yeah i know - but that would mean finding it ;) - my 'shops a reet tip at the moment cos i am rebuilding all the storage to give each machine a mobile cabinet base

once ive done that i'll find the spanner and be a good boy in future

richard, i can come up with some thin steel plate , if you want it pm me an address.

Anyone know what size the thin spanner is across the flats as I haven't got one either and if I can find that size I can get one laser cut.

I already need to get a riving knife laser cut as I use slightly bigger diameter blades so the knife doesn't fit.

46mm A/F and looks more like 1.5mm thick. Let me know if you want a photo or I could put it on the scanner.

Jason

big soft moose":1zhim1yd said:
they are easily made if you have some 2-3mm sheet steel.

just to clarify - i meant the riving knife (beardo asked about) is easily made from 2-3mm steel plate - the arbour spanner is indeed 1-1.5mm

jasonB":1h4gebnp said:
46mm A/F and looks more like 1.5mm thick. Let me know if you want a photo or I could put it on the scanner.

Jason

I'm going to get a spanner and riving knife laser cut, if anyone else is interested let me know. I'll get a quote, the more the cheaper it'll be.

A scan of the spanner would be good. Cheers

It looks like Kity have changed the spec of the machine at some stage, because NMA have sent me a picture of the tools required to change the blade on the current machines and there's no way that the thin spanner shown would mate with the arbor on my machine. The exploded view of the parts shown in the current manual also looks different to the same view in the manual that accompanies my saw (made in 1997, FWIW).

I'm a bit frustrated right now. Perhaps I'll never be able to change the blade - and the one fitted at present isn't suitable for the tasks I bought the machine for. I've decided that I sodding well hate buying second-hand stuff from Ebay. This particular table saw is turning out to be a very expensive waste of time and money.

Not easily. I'll try to poke a camera into the machine tonight. But the part that the wrench is needed for is a cylinder, approx 40mm in diameter and 20mm long, between the motor and the blade, with two shallow slots or grooves machines into its surface so that the wrench will grip it. It appears that on more recent 419's this arrangement has been changed so that the part of the arbour that needs to be held stationary is in front of the blade, immediately between the blade and the bolt head - and Kity now supply a square, flat "box end" wrench for the purpose.

Don't worry about the picture it sound exactly the same as mine though 50mm would be more likely as the spanner is 46mm AF. If thats the case get wood you like to get another one cut.

Jason

DSC_5948.JPG

DSC_5953.JPG

Richard D":2sow4i2e said:
I'm a bit frustrated right now. Perhaps I'll never be able to change the blade - and the one fitted at present isn't suitable for the tasks I bought the machine for. I've decided that I sodding well hate buying second-hand stuff from Ebay. This particular table saw is turning out to be a very expensive waste of time and money.

try axminster - the TS200 is a clone of the original kity so there is a good chance that the arbor spanner from a ts200 would fit on your machine.

that said it isnt absolutely critical to have an arbour spanner to change the blade anyway - i know its not best practice but you can stick a pin through the hole in the blade and brace that against the table , or clamp a bit of wood across the blade and brace the teeth against that , or just hold the blade in your other hand (wearing a welding guantlet for protection natch) - the nut on the front side is just a standard 13mm spanner or socket.

Back