Anybody know the current price of walnut (roughly) ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick81

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening woodies. Im looking at building a nest of tables. Ive never used walnut before so can anybody give me an idea on its current price? Im in Yorkshire/Humberside if thats relevent.

Thanks all.

for native walnut, anywhere from about £50 a cube upwards to about 70 for "standard" native walnut, depending on what it is and the quality. Be prepared for a lot of wastage within boards though, to avoid sapwood and because they are often odd shapes. I am sure that I have seen figures of 100% wastage quoted.

i would suggest trying somerscales at immingham, who were very well priced the one time I have been.

There is a little yard called Nunn's at York, well between on the hull side of york, who had some reasonable air dried bits of which i bought some a few months ago.

American black walnut is about the same money, but you should get less wastage because the boards are larger and straighter. be warned that sapwood is not regarded as a defect (ie you pay for it as good wood), but may not be desirable to your project.

Not sure on the price but if it's not too far somerscales is worth a trip just for a look around, but don't go to Immingham because they are in Keelby.

I doubt that you will get any response because I got the name wrong. I meant Coats n-n-coats-york-t78477.html?hilit=%20York
I don't have a phone number but you do need to give him a call and check that he is not fishing (his words!)

Do leave a message if he doesn't answer- he rang me back quite quickly but it isn't a commercial business with offices etc. it is just the one semi retired chap!

Latest posts

Back