Any structural engineers on here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblue777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
So finally almost finished my plans for our side/rear extension and after we submit them and hopefully get approval I will be needing a building reg drawings and a calculation for an RSJ (2 meter opening too join the old to new).

Just wondering if there are any structural engineers on here that could do this and how much you would charge? I can send through the planning permission drawings if it helps give a better price estimate.

Cheers
Mark

I would recommend submitting your building regs drawings to an independant building control inspector like BBS.

Cant answer your question though!

My experience is that independant licenced inspectors can be more helpful as you are the customer, the inspectors can be reached by mobile (not always possible with LA BC).

You may get quite hrlpful, pragmatic solutions to interpreting regulations.

With BBS, you can submit plans and can start work in 7 working days.

Not relevant to you, but for a business like us, it means we are always dealing with a familiar company and same process wherever the job is instead of dealing with loads of different LA's.

Yes indeed final cert is issued.

I think LA building control departments are shrinking whilst the independants are expanding. Often independants employ ex LA inspectors.

The licenced inspectors have to submit a notice for every job which the LA theoretically have a right to refuse them from doing the inspections although ive never known it happen. I think it just allows to officially retain control.

RobinBHM":fch15nmw said:

The licenced inspectors have to submit a notice for every job which the LA theoretically have a right to refuse them from doing the inspections although ive never known it happen. I think it just allows to officially retain control.

Absolutely. In my - admittedly limited experience - when I first started doing renovation and had no prior relationship with the BCO's, the first visit was effectively an 'interview' by the BCO. Did I know what I was talking about regarding the Regs ? He threw out a few 'tester questions' - IMO, also, all BCO's have their own particular pet foible - his was top-opening windows for fire egress which he wanted until I pointed out that as I was replacing 'like-for-like', the new windows would be no worse then before. He backed down and I got a 'tick in the box' as it were as he then knew that he didn't need to bother too much with me and that he could focus on the cowboys.

That was a while back and so before anyone jumps down my throat and says that the Regs have now changed re windows and top-opening ......

If I was doing it regularly then I'd use an independent.

Back