Any sparks on here ? advice needed please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi , quick question

Do you know what size supply I will need if I am running a 2.2kw motor on a lathe ?

Will 16 amp be OK ???

I believe 13amp is to small ??

Thanks

Amps x Volts = Watts

2200W divided by 230V (as it is now classed,damn the EU..) = 9.56A

So should be ok on 13A - I assume it has a normal 3-pin plug and 13A fuse ?

Andrew

Remember motors at startup draw 150% to 200% of normal current. I'd not run it off less than 16 amp supply if I was wiring it in, but I'm not a spark, so maybe best to get some professional advice.

Adam

PowerTool":1170v5an said:
Amps x Volts = Watts

2200W divided by 230V (as it is now classed,damn the EU..) = 9.56A

So should be ok on 13A - I assume it has a normal 3-pin plug and 13A fuse ?

Andrew

This is only true for DC. Mains is AC and there is a thing called power factor to take into account.
Having said that,. 2.2KW is typically fine on a 13A plug

Why not try a 13amp plug for awhile, and if you frequently blow fuses, then have it wired into a 16amp supply? You won't do any harm by using a lower rated fuse (provided the cable size is sufficient). You may just find fuses blow frequently on startup.

Brad

I have 3hp induction motors on my bandsaw, planer and table saw and all run fine on a 13A plug and socket.

There is a slight dip in the lights when I turn them on but I've never had any problems with plugs or cables overheating even when working the machines hard.

Mike

wrightclan":3rpysqrg said:
Why not try a 13amp plug for awhile, and if you frequently blow fuses, then have it wired into a 16amp supply? You won't do any harm by using a lower rated fuse (provided the cable size is sufficient). You may just find fuses blow frequently on startup.

Brad

Ok

looks like I will try it first :shock:

Adam":298ave02 said:
Remember motors at startup draw 150% to 200% of normal current.

Yes - but this only applies if the motor is starting up under normal load. For a lathe this is unlikely to be the case, so a 13A supply should be fine.

About the worst that can happen is that the fuse in the plug will blow (that is what it is there for after all!).

Regards

Gary

The book of words for my new 3hp Xcaliber 806 saw says use a 30 amp supply and the motor is marked as 19amps.

As others have said you might get away with a 13amp plug and it will be fine when running but it is the starting current that might pop the fuse.
One word of warning. When using 13A plugs near the limit, avoid the rubber type plugs. vulcanising agents used in their manufacture make the end of the fuses go black and this can lead to them overheating so stick to the rigid plastic/nylon type - MK are the best IMHO.

If you do end up using a 16amp supply make sure the MCB you use is a class C one. These are designed for Motors and have a greater tolerance of the starting surge current. £4.00 inc vat from toolstation compared to £3.62 for type B - normal domestic type.

Good luck

Bob

Latest posts

Back