any electronics whizzes out there?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely half the stuff we do has a simple off the shelf solution? We could close this site down and all toddle off to Ikea!

One of the reasons I like to take on projects is for the satisfaction of encountering a problem, solving it and thinking " I did that". The bike is obviously a project rather than a necessary tool to get from A to B.

Well...

I could always sell you the pcb, case and components and you could solder them in yourself ! :lol:

actually the design has changed this week.. I will be updating the pics when I get a minute

the new version has terminal blocks instead of fly leads

Chris (-=Spiyda=-)

nev":1jasdei2 said:
But ... i wont have the satisfaction of having created myself. :(

I understand where you are coming from Nev, but that satisfaction comes at a price, there's only a certain amount of time available to us in a life but it's your choice. Go ahead and design and build it if you feel the need :wink:

Cheers,
Steve.

Hi my reply wasn't an attempt to stop nev from being creative, just to make him realise how much of a time sink this project would be with little experience. It's like a wood working newbie attempting to make the finest chippendale furniture from nothing more than a few books, it will take quite a lot of time and the learning of a lot of new skills before you're done.

If you're going to go for it though, get an arduino, it will require zero soldering, you'll find that there's a large community ready to help and tons of information, you should be able to achieve your goal with one of those and a handful of resistors.

Couldn't you do it with a few zener diodes of different voltages and some resistors? Put one diode of the LED in series with each zener....just a thought.

Reggie":3k2swa97 said:
Hi my reply wasn't an attempt to stop nev from being creative, just to make him realise how much of a time sink this project would be with little experience. It's like a wood working newbie attempting to make the finest chippendale furniture from nothing more than a few books, it will take quite a lot of time and the learning of a lot of new skills before you're done.

If you're going to go for it though, get an arduino, it will require zero soldering, you'll find that there's a large community ready to help and tons of information, you should be able to achieve your goal with one of those and a handful of resistors.

No problem, don't want it to flare up. There's more than one way to skin a cat...or just buy it pre-skinned! :)

Thanks again gents. I will more than likely end up opting for the pre-skinned cat, especially if Mr Spiyda cannot foresee any reasons why it wouldn't work. (correct resistance range for example). Its now on my watch list for reference and 4th on the shopping list after a seat pad, quick action throttle and exhaust wrap :)

Nev,

It will work with pretty much any resistive sensor..
one of the reasons for changing the design was so that it will work equally well with NTC and PTC thermistors
it can also be set up to work as a voltage sensor

Chris (-=Spiyda=-)

p.s.
I just updated the image and instructions (the board won't let me link toin my post) but at the original link

Jack (W)":1d929l25 said:
Just to add to Gerry's post, the LM 3914 is available from CPC for £1.96 including VAT if ordered online - there's no minimum order value and no postage charge:
Erm, minor point of order:
CPC":1d929l25 said:
the following Small Order Handling Charges apply for customers in the UK:
A. In relation to all orders placed by account holding customers and by non account customers
i Orders up to £29.99 (ex VAT) - charge £5.95 (ex VAT);
ii. Orders between £30 and £39.99 (ex VAT) - charge £ 4.25 (ex VAT)
iii. Orders between £40 and £44.99 (ex VAT) - charge £ 1.99 (ex VAT)
iv. Orders over £45.00 (ex VAT) - no charge.

This is a pain with CPC - there are a few things that are quite cheap from them, but I usually end up scratching round to make up the order and avoid the handling charge by buying things I didn't really need !

Hi Tony,

I've just phoned CPC and they confirm that for UK Web orders:

delivery is free,
there is no minimum order value,
there is no handling charge,
you do not need to be an account holder,

i.e. there are no hidden charges and there are no 'traps',- an item priced at £1.96 will be delivered to your door for a total cost of £1.96.

CPC free delivery.png

Jack

Attachments

• CPC free delivery.png
    CPC free delivery.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 350
Must be a promotion; the bit I quoted is from their current T&C, and certainly what I'm used to. Thanks for pointing it out - I need some more batteries !

Back