Any boat builders here

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 13ft dinghy in really solid fibreglass, but all the wood needs to be replaced in the transom, gunnels and foredeck. I cannot find a local source of mahogany or teak, what English grown timer would be suitable, finish would be varnished no thwarts to do. Not really wanting to use marine ply if I can help it.
longest lengths are 14ft. What is recommended, what have you used at my age I have no wish to replace in a few years.

I have a 13ft dinghy in really solid fibreglass, but all the wood needs to be replaced in the transom, gunnels and foredeck. I cannot find a local source of mahogany or teak, what English grown timer would be suitable, finish would be varnished no thwarts to do. Not really wanting to use marine ply if I can help it.
longest lengths are 14ft. What is recommended, what have you used at my age I have no wish to replace in a few years.

In the past I have used Oak and Ash for the areas you have described and Iroko for bilge and keel runners underwater on several similar but larger Day Boats. Ash does not really need a varnish, best to let it breath and age to a natural grey, but several oil finished are recommended, look at the "Drascombe" web site for further information........

David P

I would never use Ash anywhere near a boat, it is not durable & rots with alacrity as soon as it gets damp. Surely there must be a boatyard up your way? worth checking out the WBTA wooden boatbuilders trade association to see who is near you.
Oak would be ok if a bit heavy. Other cheap option is to get some cheap tanalised roofing batten & use that. I did this on a rowing gig & it lasted 20 years!

Douglas fir is a traditional boat building timber, often seen in masts & spars. When I restored my composite Wayfarer I used some large blocks of DF concealed under the deck near the mast, shrouds & rowlocks. However, I mostly used sapele and marine ply as the deck was epoxied & varnished.

how about Cedar.....thats good for exposed positions without mad maintainence.......
I've fallen out with teak......perhaps it's the modern rubbish......

I have 2 fancy teak Canopied sun beds....just after 1 season they look like cr@p.....
they will be totally taken apart and doused with Sikkens.....(1 was nearly a 1000 euroes retail )....
prob made from the rubbish left on the floor of the forest.....

I am a boatbuilder with both teak and mahogany, as well as various other marine timbers. Do NOT use ash as others have suggested. It will rot away in months is ever kept damp and exposed. Feel free to get in contact if I can help?

I have no experience of working on boats but the comment above about Ash being unsuitable rang a bell. A few years ago I visited a wooden boat, builder in Seaton, Devon and he was using Ash from a tree he had had felled and milled. He was really knowledgeable and doing everything in a traditional and proper way, copper rivets etc. I wouldn't have thought he would have been so keen to use Ash if it would rot away quickly.
1637405337931.png

I have no experience of working on boats but the comment above about Ash being unsuitable rang a bell. A few years ago I visited a wooden boat, builder in Seaton, Devon and he was using Ash from a tree he had had felled and milled. He was really knowledgeable and doing everything in a traditional and proper way, copper rivets etc. I wouldn't have thought he would have been so keen to use Ash if it would rot away quickly.
View attachment 122232
Well, think it or not, it does and I have seen this first hand more than once!

Got to agree about not using Ash, not worth the risk, even fully encapsulated in resin or glass, its not going to last as long as other timbers

Ash was used for bodywork on car frames as it is tough & flexible, anyone who has ever worked on a Morris traveller will know they are designed to rot. In a boat it will rot out in no time, the guy who built that boat from it will learn an expensive lesson.
The only other timber that rots faster is Beech, this used to be imported into Leigh on sea to the Timber wharf. For a fiver the yard hand would slide a big plank over the wall, this was then known as "Leigh oak" & quite a bit was used in boats.
Every single person who used it thus regretted it as it rotted with extreme speed!

Back