Another Fobco Star pillar drill resto

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...there is enough play to move the inner race even more proud and thus achieve the ‘pre load’ which you can feel.

I do not know the answer to your question, but just as an alternative point of view, how do you know for sure that pressing it thus (even more proud) is increasing the preload and not actually trying to push the two bearing halves apart?

I have no proper rationale for saying this, but it seems that making it less proud might be the correct direction for its working condition.

Anyway, it might be worth looking at Hoffman's site for some guidance.

If you still have the old bearing, X-ray it with an angle grinder and the inner arrangement will become clear.

Evening All,

@ChaiLatte you make a good point. So I found a section through an ac bearing :-
1679423293407.jpeg

The outer race shoulder is thicker on one side than the other which I can relate to my bearing. Therefore, the thinner wall of the outer race should face down as the axial load in that configuration runs from right to left or upwards when installed moving the inner race lower shoulder towards the outer race upper shoulder and into contact with the ball bearings.

The next question is, as there is an ac bearing at the top of the spindle housing what about its orientation in relation to the lower bearing. Should it be the reverse of the lower bearing, which to me seems odd with reference to the cross section pic as the axial load would seem to be forcing the inner and outer race shoulders apart. To me it should be in tandem with the lower bearing.

Or am I overthinking this?

CG

Afternoon All,

Just had a go at reassembling the spindle. I’ve got Hoffman 115ac’s from Orinoco.

Got the bottom bearing on the spindle but I was expecting having to press the spindle and bottom bearing into the spindle housing, but it just dropped into place, no interference fit as I was expecting.

I can’t imagine that’s right so if anyone can offer any insight please let me know.

Thx.,
CG

Hey CG, how are you getting on with your refurb? Any pics/answers to the above. I’m due to start my Fobco restoration in short order and having never done it before I’m following all other threads I can for information. Replacing the bearings and refitting correctly is the bit that I’m dreading..

cheers
Nic

Hi Nic,

Pleased to meet you.

To be honest, I haven’t done a lot recently. I got annoyed with the layout I had in my single garage ‘workshop’ so I spent some time doing a ‘proper’ redesign, or at least a design I’m more comfortable with, to give myself more bench top space. I’m almost there now so it won’t be long before I’m back on it.

I have though reassembled the quill incorporating the new bearings I got from Orinoco Bearings in Leeds and yes I was a bit concerned about fitting them but I’m lucky enough to have a small press which helped. I’ve given the head a first coat of the paragon cream, it looks a bit rough and needs a bit of work as I applied by brush. I would have preferred to spray but I’m not set up for that.

I also have the ‘manual’ from Tony at lathes.co.uk and whilst it’s helpful i have found slight differences between my machine and the diagrams which are a little hazy probably due to reproduction and size. My machine also has a very low serial number, 1250 something iirc, which could mean that it’s a very early model hence the slight differences.

Also have a look at Fobco 1/2 Cap Drill Restoration thread over on mig-welding.co.uk it’s a decent thread with a lot of pics that I always go back to.

Disassembling it is easy, reassembly can be tense so if I would give one piece of advice it would be to take as many pictures as you can during disassembly for reference later, i did a few and I wish I’d done a few more but I do have another Unit that I can reference should I need to It’s a later model with the longer quill but the other bits are the same. Oh and be organised with your bits, as you remove them, sounds simple I know but trust me it’ll pay dividends in the long run and don’t ask me how I know 😀. I have amassed a good few plastic bowls and lids from the odd Chinese takeaway from up the road and they’re invaluable for small parts!

But even after all that rambling and the fact that I’m not actively working on it at present feel free to ask me anything.

Rgds.,

CG

Hi Nic,

Pleased to meet you.

To be honest, I haven’t done a lot recently. I got annoyed with the layout I had in my single garage ‘workshop’ so I spent some time doing a ‘proper’ redesign, or at least a design I’m more comfortable with, to give myself more bench top space. I’m almost there now so it won’t be long before I’m back on it.

I have though reassembled the quill incorporating the new bearings I got from Orinoco Bearings in Leeds and yes I was a bit concerned about fitting them but I’m lucky enough to have a small press which helped. I’ve given the head a first coat of the paragon cream, it looks a bit rough and needs a bit of work as I applied by brush. I would have preferred to spray but I’m not set up for that.

I also have the ‘manual’ from Tony at lathes.co.uk and whilst it’s helpful i have found slight differences between my machine and the diagrams which are a little hazy probably due to reproduction and size. My machine also has a very low serial number, 1250 something iirc, which could mean that it’s a very early model hence the slight differences.

Also have a look at Fobco 1/2 Cap Drill Restoration thread over on mig-welding.co.uk it’s a decent thread with a lot of pics that I always go back to.

Disassembling it is easy, reassembly can be tense so if I would give one piece of advice it would be to take as many pictures as you can during disassembly for reference later, i did a few and I wish I’d done a few more but I do have another Unit that I can reference should I need to It’s a later model with the longer quill but the other bits are the same. Oh and be organised with your bits, as you remove them, sounds simple I know but trust me it’ll pay dividends in the long run and don’t ask me how I know 😀. I have amassed a good few plastic bowls and lids from the odd Chinese takeaway from up the road and they’re invaluable for small parts!

But even after all that rambling and the fact that I’m not actively working on it at present feel free to ask me anything.

Rgds.,

CG
That’s a great reply thank you CG - and I’ll definitely be picking your brain I’m sure. I’ve purchased the manual already - just waiting for it to be delivered. (a paper manual these days?! I thought it was gonna be a pdf. Paper is probably more helpful tbh 😀)

I’ve seen that thread over at mig-welding (at least I saw one thread - there’s a couple I think) it’s a good resource yeah. Just everything always seems a bit vague…. maybe these bearings maybe not. Maybe this way maybe not - I guess to be expected with the age and variations between the models. I’ve done film camera repairs and I used to have a VW beetle so I’m fairly mechanically handy - but I normally follow instructions… it’s a bad crutch to have when they don’t exist!

I hope the garage workshop reorganisation goes well. I’m currently using our conservatory… the girlfriend isn’t best pleased 😀 but it’s bright at least. Plus I’m in the middle of building a tool chest and she’s doing a mosaic. Cluttered doesn’t cover it!!

Latest posts

Back