Another drought victim. Any guesses?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimB

Established Member
Reaction score
This will be used for handles for carving chisels for which it is well suited though I usually use pear.
Smells nice when cutting and takes a polish well. The odd marks on the pieces shown come from insects chewing under the bark and into the sapwood. It is grown in the UK but not in the wild.

Attachments

• P1012055.JPG
    P1012055.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,251
  • P1012046.JPG
    P1012046.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 1,251
  • P1012051.JPG
    P1012051.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 1,251
  • P1012050.JPG
    P1012050.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,251
Not a wattle but deciduous. Obviously the bark has seen better days. It's been drying for a couple of years and is one of those woods that don't really do a great deal of cracking which makes them great for handles.

Peach it is Dick. I gather there are dozens of different varieties. This one had beautiful fruit - but it will live on in its wood. :D

phil.p":3b3ztd8o said:
Funny, I was thinking it looked like a cherry. I couldn't think of an opera about anyone losing their cherry, though. :)
I thought they were all about that especially Don Giovanni. :twisted:

I have some cherry in the shed but haven't got round to it yet. Don't know what type but it is a very even colour and so looks a bit bland.
The only problem (for me) with fruit wood, pear, apple, apricot and peach, is that it irritates my skin. Means I have to shower more than usual.

Back