Another drafty garage door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
After leaving woodworking to sell my soul and move into IT, I’ve got back into it and have starting converting my garage. The problem is it’s a bit drafty.

I’ve managed to insulate the garage door (workshop door as I keep telling SWMBO) but I’m struggling to draft proof it. It’s a standard up and over door with a big gap along the bottom and two large gaps either side of the middle of the door where the mechanism connects to the door.

As I’ve only managed to grab about two thirds of the garage the door still needs to be useable.

For the bottom, adding a strip to close the gap and tacking on some dpc so that it just rubs will sort that out but I’m struggling to think of anything for the sides.

Any ideas

Graham

How about the same type of thing for the sides?
Rubber strip,DPC or similar - bottom half fastened to the frame,top half fastened to the door,so it can still open and close.

Andrew

Graham, any chance of a pic? if so, your problem will be sorted a hundredfold.
Regards, Rich.

Old car inner tubes are great for these type of problems Graham. :wink:

While picking up the last router from B&Q, I had a nose around to see what they had and they've got garage door insulating kits in. The kit included a foil based insulation roll and a draft excluder that goes along the bottom of the door for £40.

Back to the main topic, I've had another look at the door and its already got a rather badly fitting excluder on the sides part, bottom part fitted to the frame and the top to the door or vice versa. But as they stop 4 inches or so apart where the mechanism joins the door it does not do very much.

I'm going to pop to the local garden centre and get some pond liner and try that.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

Graham

Back