And yet another problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
They're coming thick and fast today..
In a complicated family maneuver prompted by my son's desire to purchase an Alfa Romeo, I have taken over his Peugeot 4008. I have just done an oil and filter change and the 4008 has some super duper whizz bang engine that requires an oil with the viscosity of water (and at the price of good whiskey). The stuff is so thin and clear it is impossible to see it on the dipstick, it just runs off. There must be a secret to this.

I'd wager the dealer service told him he needs synthetic oil. My bet is the manual doesn't call for it, just normal 5-30 or 5-40 oil. Nissan always tried to pull that on our Rogue and Frontier. They always look hurt when I tell them nope.

Pete

They're coming thick and fast today..
In a complicated family maneuver prompted by my son's desire to purchase an Alfa Romeo, I have taken over his Peugeot 4008. I have just done an oil and filter change and the 4008 has some super duper whizz bang engine that requires an oil with the viscosity of water (and at the price of good whiskey). The stuff is so thin and clear it is impossible to see it on the dipstick, it just runs off. There must be a secret to this.
Castrol state the manufacturer recommends 5W-30 or 5W-40 -

https://rego2oil.castrol.com/en_au/...50_4008_2_0_litre_DOHC_VVT_Eng_4x4_2012_2017_
As for spotting the level on the dipstick - wipe it clean and dry, put it back in, pull it out, holding it horizontal'ish but with the end pointing slightly downwards and shine a handheld torch on the end. Where the oil was (and ran off) the oil film will reflect light differently than the bare (dry) metal.

I'd wager the dealer service told him he needs synthetic oil. My bet is the manual doesn't call for it, just normal 5-30 or 5-40 oil. Nissan always tried to pull that on our Rogue and Frontier. They always look hurt when I tell them nope.

Pete
This is an interesting issue.
I have the Peugeot 4008 handbook - 368 pages, 57 of which are devoted to the use of the entertainment system. Unbelievable!
Did the rounds of the various oil companies online and the variances in their recommended oils for my model were huge.
The handbook states for the 2 litre petrol version of the 4008 - 0W-30, fully synthetic, ACEA C2, API SP. Not only does the engine have expensive tastes in oil, it also turns up its nose at regular petrol and wants the high octane stuff. My son forgot to mention all this when he was giving me the 'deal of the century.'
The oil numbers are all gobbledygook to me but that's what I put in it.

As for spotting the level on the dipstick - wipe it clean and dry, put it back in, pull it out, holding it horizontal'ish but with the end pointing slightly downwards and shine a handheld torch on the end. Where the oil was (and ran off) the oil film will reflect light differently than the bare (dry) metal.
Good tip. Thank you.

And just now tried it. Easy to see now.

Last edited:
A more pressing issue will be in a couple weeks.... Alphas often break down and he'll soon be stealing the pug back 😆🤣 dont sell your current motor 😁

A more pressing issue will be in a couple weeks.... Alphas often break down and he'll soon be stealing the pug back 😆🤣 dont sell your current motor 😁
Son just got a promotion with a nice car included in his salary package. The Alfa is off..., and he's not getting his Peugeot back even though the Child Bride really dislikes it.

Alfa's, modern Peugeot, child bride sounds like quite a family u got there.........hahaha.....

bit like an old friend in the US.....
his wife came to pick me up at LAX.....
I said thats a nice looking 60's Alfa u have there.....
she says it was in a wreck and prob someone got killed in it.....!!!!!!!!!
"every car I have since I've been married was crashed"......hahaha.......

Alfa's are weekend cars.....u can just get a taxi home while it gets repaired........

Driving here it's all small cars coz of the price of fuel and road tax....
R/T for my 3 liter "D" Izusu Trooper was €600.....ouch....
anyway everytime u see one at the roadside it's always French.....
U never see Japanese cars stuck......and dont mention modern Merc's.....

anyway everytime u see one at the roadside it's always French.....
Was a bit worried about handing over my meagre dollars for the Peugeot for that reason.
But then learned that the Peugeot 4008 is just a rebadged Mitsubishi ASX, built in Japan in Mitsubishi's plant. The only French stuff is the little lion badge on the front and the whorehouse interior.

Was a bit worried about handing over my meagre dollars for the Peugeot for that reason.
But then learned that the Peugeot 4008 is just a rebadged Mitsubishi ASX, built in Japan in Mitsubishi's plant. The only French stuff is the little lion badge on the front and the whorehouse interior.
Thats interesting. Just looked it up on google images. Boot looks ok. We are going to have to get a new ( to us ) family car because my partners astra is way too small ( 3 kids )

I want to get a van with the rear bench seats, but she wont drive one 😒
Ive got an L200 double cab, plenty of boot Space but 8ts always full of work kit 🤷‍♂️

Back