And now for something really scary.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
There's this wonderful video of a home-workshop workbench being built here. It gets really interesting about 2:45 to 3:00, but even "better" at 3:20. I guarantee that it will make you clench 'em - but if it doesn't you need to read a few more books, believe me! Extreme Woodmachining rocks!

Scrit

Aw heck Scrit :!:
At least they took out the Dado blades from their last project and put in a saw blade, instead of leaving them in to save some time. :roll: :shock: :norm:

that TS looks like the one I bought from Screwfix (Ferm?). Scared the hell out of me, used it once.

scary stuff :shock:
What I dont get is why they didnt use the mitre saw to cut the legs? instead of 2 cuts with a skilsaw

The man doesn't know the meaning of the word "fear" (nor "safety" apparently), I reckon Michaelhooligan.com would be more appropriate.

MooreToolsPlease":2o3kpty7 said:
scary stuff :shock:
What I dont get is why they didnt use the mitre saw to cut the legs? instead of 2 cuts with a skilsaw

They could also have easily constructed a guard over the blade for the shoulder cuts and used a bandsaw for the others. Safe and problem solved! :roll: :roll:

Someone on an American website posted the link and there were lots of comments about it being scary - so I thought, OK, if it worries our 'murrican cuzzins......... :shock:

Scrit

Could someone explain what happens please? I'm curious to know but not enough to install real media viewer :twisted: on my pc

The guy has a table saw but crosscuts 4 legs "freehand" with a portable saw (so nice square end). He then uses a long rip fence (i.e. one extending past the front edge of the blade - thus risking kickback) to cut two sides of the timber - the blade is unguarded and the riving knife appears to be missing :shock: Now the really cool part: he up-ends the legs and makes two tenoning cuts on the unsupported legs by running a 4 x 4in end, then a 4 x 2 on the table holding the leg upright - at the end of the last cut he is supporting a 3ft long leg of 4 x 4in pine on a 2 x 2in square end over an spinning, unguarded blade. Classic! Makes David Free look positively saintly :wink:

BTW the legs end up looking like this:

Leg1.jpg

Scrit

Drew":20kv9l7m said:
just watched it. Good God above...and he actually seemed to still have all his digits intact. It could almost qualify as an entry to the Darwin awards

Drew

At that rate I am not sure how long before the digits go down in number and I think ( some thing he does not do much of :roll: ) he should have a Dawin :wink:

Hells teeth, what a cavalier disregard for their own safety...

Not posted in here before as I am a Neander but felt obliged to comment. :shock:

Hey hey, we shouldn't complain a bit. He has his disclaimers in perfect order, so it should be perfectly safe, dont you think?
angry-smiley-014.gif
cheeky-smiley-022.gif

Quite a stunt. I've been doing stupid things meself, but actually TEACHING people to do such stupidities is another thing. I don't care too much if someone calling himself "pro" gets hurt doing that kind of things when they really should know better, but think of the poor first-timer who just bought himself his first saw and tries that himself...

A woodworking show with Jackass stunts, wow.

Pekka

I wrote them an e-mail yesterday expressing my concern for the unsafe tablesaw operations they show and teach. I doubt it will help but perhaps if they got enough e-mails about it, they'd take notice.

Some folks have pretty thick skulls and it takes more than knocking with a single finger tip to get their attention.

Back