And now for something completely different!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Coining a phrase from Monty Python.

Anyway the client I am currently making the Cherry Telephone table spoke to me yesterday and asked if I could help him with a problem - He is a train enthusiast and is trying to get a large scale locomotive ready for the re-opening of the outside track that his club use in a couple of weeks.

So today I have been playing trains! - It is 74" inches long - John had already got the sheet steel folded/roll formed.

P200802_16-03-11.jpg

P200801_16-03-11.jpg

Didn't start until about 2.30pm this afternoon and got home about half an hour ago - can have my tea now!

Hopefully John will be "chuffed" (sorry) when he picks it up tomorrow

Rog

Ah trains! My next door neighbour at work is into trains, he makes them in his spare time. He has shown me one or two of the ones he has made and they are brilliant. They weigh a ton though as he asked me to help him lift one into his trailer. :shock:

mailee":lyy6bmui said:
They weigh a ton though as he asked me to help him lift one into his trailer. :shock:

Tell me about it - John once asked me if I would go with him and pick up a model loco - 200 mile round trip but wanted to use my land rover as he said it was on a trailer.

Arrived expecting to see a Hornby train set but was horrified to find a huge (I think it was 1/4 scale) steam loco and tender mounted on tracks and a very substantial ifor williams trailer. We had to use the winch on my landrover )Hence why he asked if we could take the landy) to winch the loco etc up onto the trailer.

Towed it home ok and safely delivered - A couple of days later he told me the train and trailer had a combined weight of 4 1/4 tons so I had been slightly overweight :eek: :eek:

Testiment to a good Land Rover though but pipper did I get through some diesel!

Rog

Started dead early this morning and got the body panels completed so the client could pick it up who is now going to seal, paint it all - He has also promised my kids the first ride on it when their track re-opens!

Back to furniture work but has been a bit different

DSCF2211.jpg

DSCF2206.jpg

That looks like a lovely piece of work, and I know very little about trains. Interestingly, yesterday I was reading up on Neil Young (for the music fans out there) and apparently he has a significant share percentage in a famous american/canadian model train company (hasbro, haribo, harrold de gob or something similar) as well as having numerous patents on electric/motorised elements of the train tracks.

My ignorance on the subject may be off-putting but anyone who likes trains and music might find it an interesting curio.

Eoin

Rog
Looks really good, but remember you gotta stay on 'track', and please dont go off the 'rails'. :lol: :lol:

Stew

DIY Stew":2f9hmdjx said:
Rog
Looks really good, but remember you gotta stay on 'track', and please dont go off the 'rails'. :lol: :lol:

Stew

Its alright Stew - This project gave me a change to let off a little steam and as the customer is finishing it I havnt got to buff(er) it. Anyway thats enough got to get back to my timetable!

Rog

Back