An Observation About This Site

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simoli

Established Member
Reaction score
I've only been here a few days so haven't had much of a chance to give my input so far. My main draw to this forum was that it comes out of EU, and from my travels I realize that people in different countries do things a little different to achieve the same goal. While looking through some of the older threads I started to notice a trend, sometimes I have no clue to what you guys (figuratively speaking) are talking about. Every once in a while there is a word which I don't know the meaning of. You also refer to different brands of tools, like Triton, tools that I really can't relate to.

My point, it's interesting to me that there can be such a difference in this hobby/craft.

OK, I'm done babbling.

And your spell check doesn't like "I'm".

Hi Jim

If you have any questions, just ask away.

Triton is a brand name and one of their best selling tools is a router that was designed specifically to be used under a table. AFAIK it's the only one in the world designed that way. Here is a link.

Cheers
Neil

PS I'm shocked to hear that our esteemed spell checker isn't working. :lol: I pressed the learn button, so it's ok for me now.

Newbie_Neil":2ze3di44 said:
I pressed the learn button, so it's ok for me now.
I must be a very bad teacher 'cos I used to do that with dedicated regularity - and it never did learn. I've given up now. :roll: :lol:

Hi Jim, not sure I've said welcome to the forum, but erm, well I have now. :) Yeah, there's a multitude of differences, particularly in the world of power tools. I must confess a lot of my early hand tool internet keeness was simply down to the fact I had a better idea of what the heck people were talking about on the hand tool boards. :oops: After a while I've found the obvious differences aren't such a big deal, but the fine nuances of how we go about this craft start to get interesting. But anyway, if you find yourself drowning in a see of Britishisms, give a yell of "wassatden?" and we'll try and rush to your aid. :D

Cheers, Alf

Simoli,

Triton, call toll free in the USA

1 888 874 8661 Ask for their sales video.

:)

No connection to the business only a satisfied user.

Newbie_Neil":2u77hjw9 said:
Hi Jim

Triton is a brand name and one of their best selling tools is a router that was designed specifically to be used under a table.

Neil Triton's biggest seller is the work centre - thats the product that started the company over 20 years ago in Australia
Barry

Hi Jim, welcome to the site. I notice that there are people in various locations around the world on this site, including Canada and Poland so you're not alone mate :)

Just remember we speak English the proper way ( :wink: ) and you'll be fine.
The first time I watched Norm, i thought what the heck is half of that stuff/brands, but you soon get used to it - even Gorilla Glue is available here now.

So to put that in Americanese for you - "Howdy Pardner!" :)

Mark

Hi Jim, Welcome, I like this site, there's a huge fund of knowledge & mostly a well behaved community, mind you there's always the odd maverick :) :) I don't dare mention any names.

If some of the terminology is unfamiliar just try changing the 's' for a 'z' and all will become clear :wink:

And before starting a row about English / American spelling I had best add that apparently the use of the 'z' is historically correct and it's those pesky Brits that changed over to using the 's' :)

Hi Jim and welcome

Pecker":2nb8aqak said:
Just remember we speak English the proper way ( :wink: ) and you'll be fine.
Except for Wales and Scotland where they only think they do........ :? Then again when I worked in the USA everyone thought I was Australian (I have a Lancashire accent - Lancashire, where's that then? :lol: )

Losos":2nb8aqak said:
....... mind you there's always the odd maverick :) :) I don't dare mention any names.
You're talking about Alf again, aren't you :shock:

Regards

Scrit

Simoli: Having just spent a couple of weeks north of the border*, one of which was in the far north I can assure you that American/English 'misunderstandings' are but minor inconveniences, having Gaelic speaking 'Scots' relieved to be speaking to someone from England was quite a novelty in some of the remoter parts where the variety of visiting nationalities put us in the minority.

PS: from a forum member who has a 'Texan', (note 'Texan') not American daughter in law.

*Scotland

Back