an insulated door panel idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
We have a very nice original (1930) mahogany front door, except for one aspect.

It has 2 long panels panel and one shorter under 4 small glass panes - which I have just replaced with that natty thin Historglass double glazing.

Now the only problem with our door is the panels are thin and they attract an awful lot of condensation in the winter.
I Have seen insulated panels are made now with hardwood or veneered plywood sandwiching rigid foam , which is a new tool product .

And it got me thinking, that I could make the same,

The door panels have a recess of 12mm, so I could theoretically add 4mm of rigid foam covered by 3mm mahogany veneered plywood, to the inside of the door (and even again do the same on the outside with marine plywood and foam), and still keep a 5mm recess so not destroying the style of the door

Now my question is if I did go for such an approach (anyone see any flaws in my argument so far please shout out) what would be best glue to use to make the panels and then fix them in place?

to:
a) bond the rigid foam to the plywood, and then (foam to plywood)
b) bond the new panel to the door? (foam to mahogany)

I was thinking some sort of contact glue but would value some guidance

thanks for your advice in advance

If you were to make a frame around the outer edges if the panel you surely wouldn't need to glue the foam, a tight fit inside the frame should survive then attach the outer panel to the frame.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

thanks deserter, but not sure I follow 100%

How would you invisibly attach the frame to the door ? as it would be have to be attached to the door with the new panel and foam already attached to it.

My idea of glueing the whole thing in place to make it in look exactly like it is now except the panel would be recessed less (some 7mm)?

I needs to look the same as it does now with 3 flat panels in the door.

How are the panels held in to the door at the moment? I've been using celotex a lot recently and nothing will stick to the foam - it just leaves a powder embedded in the glue. No problem gluing the foil backed side tho'. Easiest way to get thin panels of it is thru the bandsaw.

A photo might be helpful.

Not sure if I am following this correctly but can't you just sandwich the foam in between two layers of ply and hold it all in with the mouldings? no need to glue any of it together other than the mouldings probably. :?

Back