American White oak suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidN

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make two exterior doors and have been reccommended to use American White Oak can anybody advise me the best place to purchase from
Ideally a timber importer so I can finish to 50mm thick My area is Surrey Sussex and Hampshire
many Thanks for your help
DavidN

A bit off topic but is there a way to add to that map? I have two suppliers in Ireland (Republic) that may help out others from here.

I've just had a load of 10 & 30mm finished thickness AWO from South London hardwoods, all very nice straight, clear boards, a couple were a bit white on one side but it won't show for what I'm using. Give them a call and get a price for some 63mm sawn stock.

Wests are also worth a try.

Jason

David

I use Atkin and Cripps, I've not had any complaints, I always go for the rough sawn. Because you want to finish down to 50mm you will probably need 2" rough sawn, like most wood suppliers they charge you nearly double the price for a cuft, something to do with the drying time in the kiln, more of a con to me.

What you might want to do is perhaps use European oak that has been air dried, not sure if you have anywhere like Yandles in your area, but thats the sort of place you could try.

American White Oak is durable and suitable for external doors, but it depends on your intended finish (or lack or it - Oak weathers sympathetically with old building materials).

I'd recommend looking at European Oak , even English if you can find it in a suitable quality - I'd endorse Jason's comment, West's in Petworth are worth a look. Good stock and helpful staff in my experience. You may even find what you require ready - made.

Yes - would be good to be able to update that map - Timbmet is showing off the cost of Somalia!!! ;)

You can use my map until Charley updates the forum map - see my sig.

I think he used my data so you can blame me - I probably corrected it after seeing a few boo-boos and forgot to tell him :lol:

I haven't used American white oak for some years but when I did it was usually dried to 7-10% mc max and I had problems with swelling even in kitchen doors where the solid panel pushed out the stiles. I made a pair of external doors and stored the rough sawn timber outside for as long as I could before starting and still the timber swelled to jam the doors together. Since then I've stuck with European oak which is not dried so low.
Cheers
Malcolm

Back