american magazines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bevel side only should be honed, and then onto something dead flat for the back. I use the DMT Extra Fine for this (the polish off the stone is such that you can see your face), but in his case some very, very fine silicon carbide paper (600-1000g?) stuck to some float glass would do the trick. That second honing in the gauge on all those different grades of paper will also produce a very wide second bevel. On the DMT stone two or three strokes at 30 deg are that is needed. Nice to see him using some jewellers rouge - Rob

I was sort of wondering why he was using a buffing wheel at all. Kids! If your tempted to follow this ill-considered advice, at the very least use a hard felt wheel. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Paul

I tried to order Wood from my local W H Smith. They told me it was not one of theirs so could not get it. I said that I understood that they could obtain it from Magazine Cafe. They gave me a blank look and said they did not know anything about it. Did I miss something out?

Cheers Con

ok, as i understand it, smiths order through their local wholesaler, and it
is the wholesaler who gets it off magazine cafe. :?

try this, but it will cost you a tenner. say you want them to save wood for you, and the code is bgwood, and tell them to tell the wholesaler to get it
off magazine cafe. but maybe you should try the bigger smiths in the city centre, and maybe even ask for the manager.

hope this helps
paul :wink:

Hi Paul

Tried a larger Smiths, they were unable to help. Are you getting yours from your local Smiths or on subscription? If from your local Smiths would you tell me the branch and I will get in touch with them, which is probably the simplest solution as Smiths operate a policy that if delivered to their bookshop no postage cost is involved and I may be able to get them to direct it from their wholesaler to my local Smiths instead of going to them.

Cheers Con

ok i buy my american mags from w h smith at brent cross,
and they get the magazine against my saved folder which as i said
in london now costs 10 quid per magazine. why not ask your
branch what they do for other clients about saved magazines, and then
chase it up. you could of course ring head office and ask them policy
about saved magazines, and get them to ring your branch to tell them
what and how to do it.
magazine cafe deliver to the smiths wholesalers, but of course the wholesaler will only apply against a firm order.

so there goes the merry go round.

sorry

paul :wink:

You could try an old-fashioned independent newsagent - I used to get FWW via our local with no trouble and that was from magazine cafe iirc.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info. I assume the save folder is a one off charge. Will approach Smiths and also try and independent as suggested by Alf.

Cheers Con

Hi Alf

Thanks for the suggestion. Had not thought of trying a small independent.

Cheers Con

Why not subscribe? I just looked at the Fine Woodworking site, and a 1 year subscription works out at £21.49 - that's just £3.07 per issue.

IMHO FWW is definately the best mag I've come across and they have a great website too.

Aled

Back