Alarm Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Early Monday morning some b******s cut through the padlock on my shed with croppers then had a snoop around but didn't take anything.
My neighbour suggested they could have been looking for Christmas presents but the police forensics lady thought it was a reccy, and they will be back for the tools, bikes and outboard.

I've now upgraded the security (hasps, chains and padlocks on everything) and fitted a big security light but I would like to install an alarm as well.

It must be wireless, reasonably priced and be able to alert me in the house. I plan to fit a couple of personal alarms to the doors but a means of alerting me is more important.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

mark aspin":8baan5z2 said:
Early Monday morning some b******s cut through the padlock on my shed with croppers then had a snoop around but didn't take anything.
My neighbour suggested they could have been looking for Christmas presents but the police forensics lady thought it was a reccy, and they will be back for the tools, bikes and outboard.

I've now upgraded the security (hasps, chains and padlocks on everything) and fitted a big security light but I would like to install an alarm as well.

It must be wireless, reasonably priced and be able to alert me in the house. I plan to fit a couple of personal alarms to the doors but a means of alerting me is more important.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

I did this a year ago. The alarm company I used did not recommend wireless systems in any way shape or form although he could supply them if I insisted. We went wired and have a dedicated alarm system for the shed. It has glass break, door and motion sensors along with the siren and phone dialler. The main unit is a Scantronic 9448+, the whole system cost around £200 inc installation. We had power to the shed already but needed to wire in the phone line.

The Alarm company said that he has over 10 times the problems and call from wireless systems than wired. People forget to fit the batteries, they interfere with other wireless systems and are open to scanners and other wireless means to defeat them. They are getting better but the crooks technology is getting better as well.

I don't know where in South Wales you are but there is shop in Cardiff called What (Top end of Newport Road) that sells a box containing two battery operated motion sensors and a pretend camera that moves when activated by the sensors for £1. Yes £1!

They are marked down from £2.95 so must be good quality :wink: but might act as a deterrent if put in a visible place.

cutting42":4ga6adkt said:
I did this a year ago. The alarm company I used did not recommend wireless systems in any way shape or form although he could supply them if I insisted. We went wired and have a dedicated alarm system for the shed. It has glass break, door and motion sensors along with the siren and phone dialler. The main unit is a Scantronic 9448+, the whole system cost around £200 inc installation. We had power to the shed already but needed to wire in the phone line.

The Alarm company said that he has over 10 times the problems and call from wireless systems than wired. People forget to fit the batteries, they interfere with other wireless systems and are open to scanners and other wireless means to defeat them. They are getting better but the crooks technology is getting better as well.
I don't have power to the shed so a wired system is out unfortunately. I was thinking along the lines of a PIR sensor and siren inside the shed, and an additional siren in the house to alert us.

A camera could be an option if it is truly wireless as I don't fancy drilling through 2' thick stone walls. Plus I'm not good with electronics so the technical stuff means nothing to me.

whiskywill":4ga6adkt said:
I don't know where in South Wales you are but there is shop in Cardiff called What (Top end of Newport Road) that sells a box containing two battery operated motion sensors and a pretend camera that moves when activated by the sensors for £1. Yes £1!

They are marked down from £2.95 so must be good quality :wink: but might act as a deterrent if put in a visible place.
I'm in Swansea, but I go to Cardiff all the time. I'll call in when I'm next that way.

Cheers,
Mark

We were burgled a couple of years ago and shut the stable door afterwards by fitting an alarm. A few things came to light which I mention here just in case it helps:

- There'd been a spate of burglaries in the area - all houses without alarms were targeted.
- Double glazing/multi locks no deterrent / obstacle.
- Our window locks on wooden frames defeated two attempts (glass broke on one - Burglars didn't like noise so moved to next window!) but third one gave way (frame splintered).
- Shed hinges often exterior and fixing screws can removed easily - use bolts or security screws.
- shed windows - fit wire grill/mesh.
- sheds often pre-fabricated and a whole side can be removed by unscrewing a couple of bolts used to fix the sides together.

Alarms:
- nearly all suppliers tried to push wireless (v.simple to install and cheaper) but we didn't like need for battery changes and risk of interference to/by other wireless systems (internet, phones etc) so chose mains wired.
- telephone Police (or anyone else) feature: worth considering if property isolated but of doubtful value otherwise as: Police won't come unless it's a 'confirmed' alarm i.e. double triggering by two sensors e.g. movement sensor and vibration device; pro-burglars negate by either cutting telephone line or phoning number so it's engaged and can't phone out. Alternative of installing dedicated second tel. line = expense.
- movement detectors: care re false alarms from moving things e.g. post box flaps; mice/rats in shed.

HTH

Mike

The problem for me with these alarms is that they are too passive and depend upon owner or remote action provided the theif does not circumvent them.

I fitted two internal alarms one linked to local security company and triggered at door and window and movement but the second one is a siren so loud that a person could not stand within 20 ft of it without feeling some pain to the ear drums....it has a remote off switch. I tried it and could not get closer than 10 ft for about 20 seconds before giving up. It leaves a human feeling very disoriented for a good 10 to 20 minutes.

I've even considered fitting an indelible spray above the door but can't find a supplier and the Police tell me I could be charged with assault if it was triggered.

Al

beech1948":2qh4dmj3 said:
I've even considered fitting an indelible spray above the door but can't find a supplier and the Police tell me I could be charged with assault if it was triggered.

I like it. I was thinking about rigging up a smoke grenade to my (home brew) alarm

beech1948":32gdjm52 said:

Al

As long as it's one that just shows up under UV - you should be OK. Painting the pineapple bright Pink - whilst I would love to, might cause some legal issues.

Dibs

llangatwgnedd":3g1pgf4u said:
Just like to add that I have just received my pir camera today funny enough from

http://www.lightinthebox.com/c/indoor-ip-network-cameras_5672

(Indoor network) today as Nev posted from China, for £41 plus £20 for the UPS guy.

All the detected video and pics are stored on a free website, so it doesn't matter if the thieving scum destroys the camera.

Yebbut that's after the event, isn't it? If Mike's shed is at the bottom of his garden then he wants an alarm to tell him when the scrotes are there.

Thanks guys

I bought a wireless PIR alarm on Monday from Toolstation but it's inaudible from the house (despite the shed being just 25ft from the back door). I've since alarmed the door too and fitted so many locks to everything I can't remember which key is which. :roll:

I've also ordered a Yale wireless PIR alarm with an additional siren which can be placed in the house to alert us. The alarm I bought on Monday is just a stopgap measure until the Yale arrives - going by past experience with these particular alarms the remote control fob will be broken by the time the post man is knocking so I'll take it back for a refund.

Mark

Go wired if you can. When I moved into my new house I didn't have the time to put in a fully wired alarm and plumbed for a wireless system from a well known brand and it was rubbish. Kept going off and caused more problems than it fixed.

If you can't afford a wired system, buy one of the self contained system with a remote on/off key fob, then place the main unit, which typically contains the siren somewhere difficult to get to easy i.e. as far away as possible from the entry point so the burglar has to find it and get to it before they can smash it and stop the siren.

I saw a TV program recently showing the current 'weapon of choice' of burglars - a battery operated angle grinder. I don't think many padlocks or chains would stand up to one of those, but they may be restricted to isolated houses because of the noise. Perhaps the alarm route is the best way to go.

K

graduate_owner":3jdtom25 said:
I saw a TV program recently showing the current 'weapon of choice' of burglars - a battery operated angle grinder. I don't think many padlocks or chains would stand up to one of those, but they may be restricted to isolated houses because of the noise. Perhaps the alarm route is the best way to go.

K

Croppers would still win in most cases - and are virtually silent.

My 2p worth

Dibs

Where I used to work there were heavy welded boxes, open at the bottom, around the padlocks. Inside the box there was only enough room for your hand and the key. There was no way of getting croppers in there.

Having said that, the same trick didn't work for one of my colleagues. We think that all the security around his garage was just advertising the fact that he had something worth pinching.

Dibs-h":byqsti90 said:
graduate_owner":byqsti90 said:

K

Croppers would still win in most cases - and are virtually silent.

My 2p worth

Dibs

I use a battery grinder on occasion, with a thin innox cutting disk they will slice through a chain or standard padlock link in a few seconds. If what the thieves are cutting are slightly out of sight then they will be in before anyone realises what the noise is or where its coming from. Croppers might be near silent but decent sized ones are heavy and ungainly - not easy for a scrote to hide up his jacket.

I don't have power to the shed so a wired system is out unfortunately. I was thinking along the lines of a PIR sensor and siren inside the shed, and an additional siren in the house to alert us.

Cheers,
Mark[/quote]

I did exactly this a year ago using one of these you have to add a seperate siren for the workshop this needs a power suply fit the main unit indoors PIR in the shed and you will soon know if any scrotes are about
I phoned and had a chat very helpful company

http://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatal ... ystem.html

DTR":gzc0dinp said:
Where I used to work there were heavy welded boxes, open at the bottom, around the padlocks. Inside the box there was only enough room for your hand and the key. There was no way of getting croppers in there.

Having said that, the same trick didn't work for one of my colleagues. We think that all the security around his garage was just advertising the fact that he had something worth pinching.

We call these boxes Cowels, we weld them to all the shipping containers used as site storage. The slim ones used with the correct type padlock are very effective against manual attack (croppers/crowbars etc), somebody with a grinder or cutting gear needs a few noisy minutes to get in one (at least). The older large type are useless, standard padlocks can be propped up with a lump of wood then attacked with croppers/grinder.

Having said all that, if you have a grinder and a container with a good cowel on it then there is a much easier way to get in than pipper about with the lock.

Latest posts

Back