Advice requested on a thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't buy the sip it's likely much like your titan.

I'd go quality or go home...

One of the decent makes of thicknesser or P/T...

DeWalt,Metabo, EB, kity, record comes to mind get as big as possible and buy on condition as well as age.

Thanks
advice noted

Don't buy the sip it's likely much like your titan.

I'd go quality or go home...

One of the decent makes of thicknesser or P/T...

DeWalt,Metabo, EB, kity, record comes to mind get as big as possible and buy on condition as well as age.

Worth keeping your eyes peeled. I picked up a Jet JWP-12 on FB marketplace earlier this year. Not in the same league as the Sedgwick but cost less than a new Titan did at that time.

Thanks

I have seen some good ones but either too cheap (scams) or some a very good price but 200-250 miles away
Will keep looking
Worth keeping your eyes peeled. I picked up a Jet JWP-12 on FB marketplace earlier this year. Not in the same league as the Sedgwick but cost less than a new Titan did at that time.

Thanks

I have seen some good ones but either too cheap (scams) or some a very good price but 200-250 miles away
Will keep looking
Yeah those scam DeWalt ones are such a pain...

The scheppach plm1800 I got came with spare blades from Woodford tooling.com I had a look at the site and it looks like they do a lot of blades for various machines, although I couldn't see vevor tbh. Might be worth looking depending on what model you get.
The other thing I've seen are people making sharpening jigs, wood block cuts at about 45°depending on the machine model, so that a flat stone can sharpen the blades rather than having to replace.

Birmingham gumtree has a few interesting bits and pieces.
Dominion 6" surface planer if you fancy a restoration project. Only 70 quid. Would be a belter all done up.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/planers/dominion-g-planer/1434985996
This randomly gave me childhood memories. My Great uncle used to have one of these in his workshop, he used to make ash bodies for Bentleys and such.
I have no idea what happened to all the kit he had when he died. I remember an enormous green saw bench too which always had a mountain of sawdust piled in front of it.

Ollie

Update:
I received a 10% off (up to £500 spend) voucher from ElectricFix (screwfix) so was going to get the Triton 125 for £350
However, Managed to get a 20% reduction from a company called Toolsave Ltd in Wolverhampton for the Lumberjack PT330B for £288.

Fingers crossed I have selected well, it will only get light work so should be ok

Thanks to everyone who posted positive comments
As I am a retired chippie but I still like to play in my workshop at home.

I made the mistake of buying a Titan thicknesser/planer which shed a belt and has become very noisy just lately.

I would like advice on the cheaper end models of thicknesser's such as:
Scheppach PLM1800.
Excel - 330mm Planer.
SIP 01557 8x5" etc etc

With what I do there is no point in paying £500 plus for De Walt or Makita just to mess around

Appreciate your thoughts

Yep
bought that one, cheers 20% off
Good buy at that price with 20% off.

I'd have pointed you towards the Triton TP125 had I been paying attention for posts to the forum - been otherwise distracted elsewhere 😅

If the Lumberjack doesn't quite look right out of the box and you return it then look back at the Triton. Only use mine occasionally but have been days when it's had a fair bit of work to do and been fine. Bit noisy, to be expected, but it's bearable if/when you don't put on the ear defends 'cos it's just a couple of bits to put through.

Yeah those scam DeWalt ones are such a pain...

The scheppach plm1800 I got came with spare blades from Woodford tooling.com I had a look at the site and it looks like they do a lot of blades for various machines, although I couldn't see vevor tbh. Might be worth looking depending on what model you get.
The other thing I've seen are people making sharpening jigs, wood block cuts at about 45°depending on the machine model, so that a flat stone can sharpen the blades rather than having to replace.
I buy blades for my Metabo HC from Woodford & very good they are.

Back