Advice on a shed please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

A new member has sent me a pm asking for the following advice: -

"I am building a workshop so far the framework and the roof is on. I am just about ready to ship-lap the outside. During all this rain we have had I wrapped the framework in tarpaulin but there was plenty of though draft. But on the ceiling which 3mm ply there is green mould what do you suggest i can do?"

Thanks
Neil

I would replace the 3mm ply (when the weather is suitable).The green mould will just be from the damp atmosphere created by the combination of water and tarpaulin.
If going for a ply and felt roof,I would use 18mm anyway.

Andrew

neil
tell the member to post on the forum

cant think for one minute where you would use 3mm ply in the construction of a shed ,
3mm ply is just not "construction" material ,its for finishing

ask him to post and we will do our best

cheers
mel

it must be interior grade stuff as exterior grade wont go green

Slap some preservative or something on it. It'll likely get rid of the mould, but 3mm is very thin and you are quite likely to end up with condensation problems in the future, as the warm inside, with only 3mm to the cold outside is going to end up with a lot of moisture on it.

Adam

3mm? :shock: Round here the rain would just come through that.......

In damp conditions even wbp plywood will have mould growing on it. When I use ply on the summer houses I always give it a good coating of clear wood preserver from wicks about £18 for 5 litres. This gives it the protection to remain a natural colour but protected.

Les

Hi All,
Just want to clarify that used tongue and grove18mm OBS on the exterior with wickes shingles, with 100 insulation and 3mm ply holding the insulation up. This is were i have the greed mould.

i have had ply sprout mould it was b and q far east ply and almost every sheet sprouted a hairy black patch of mildew. cant say what caused it possibly present from manufacture and sprung to life in a damp atmosphere. i just emulsioned over it with 3 coats. never reapeared.

Welcome to the forum. I know its brand new but is it concievable you've got a leak somewhere on the roof? Is their anything under the singles?

Is it an apex, or sloping roof? Is it all over? Just one side? one patch? along a roof beam?

Adam

Hi Adam

Its apex 22deg but the sides of the shed is still covered with canvas sheeting. the apex at each end of the shed were left slightly open. I don't think there is a leak because theres no staining. the worse mould is by the opening by the apex. So do you think its could be were the rain has been blow in?

Cookie

Latest posts

Back